• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ever wished you had your bin's with you? (1 Viewer)

SimonC

Still listing - I'll capsize one day
When was the last time you really wished you had your bin's with you?
Mine really was the last time as i now carry a small pair everywhere!
It was October 1995, I'd just got back into birding, & was alerted to a strange bird call overhead whilst walking down the local High street.
The bird in question was very high up, thus difficult to make out properly but I did manage to make out a distinctive shaped tail plus the call.
I ummed & arred for a while, then decided to just forget it, to save any further heartache.
That is until I heard the call again, on a TV nature show, showing film of a breeding colony of European Bee-Eaters :C
I've never ticked that one, and doesn't look like I'm going to be doing so any time soon!!

Any worse stories out there (just to make me feel better about dipping out!)

Simon

I also have taken to carrying a pair of compact bins with me round the house. My worst...its easy I was walking through the house and saw a small long-tailed warbler fly across the garden. No bins... I ran to the window and got a good naked eye view of what was either a Dartford warbler or a Marmora's.. with bins I would have clinched it. It was in an isolated bush.... but in irder to see it well enough I had to take my eyes off it and find bins. Of course I never saw it again. This far North Marmoras is just about as likely a Dartford

Hi, Eanna! I see this is one of your first posts to BirdForum, so a warm welcome to you on behalf of all of us on staff here.

Maybe I should get a pair of compact bins to keep in my purse. I'm always chucking my full-size 10x42s with me every time I leave the house. To be perfectly on topic, though, I can't remember the last time I really, really wished I'd had my bins with me because that's pretty much every time I step outside, hear/see something, and have to go racing through the house, bowling over family members, to grab 'em and get back outside. I'm with you -- I think surgery's next. ;)

Earlier this year while on holiday in Derbyshire I went for a walk along Lathkill Dale. To get to the river the path is long, steep and winding, so I elected not to carry my scope, tripod and digiscoping camera - just took my bins. When I got there my favourite bird, Little Grebe, was posing beautifully with young on her back, and her mate was feeding them all. So, back up the long, steep and winding path, collect scope, tripod and camera, back down long, steep and winding path, and back up again later!! Still, I suppose the exercise did me good, and I did get some wonderful photos in the end.

Chris

can't remember which year it was but when I lived in Wolverhampton, I remember my father driving the car down the road, and this large Swift with white belly and throat flew in front of the car at great pace of knots, both me and my father looked at each as to say 'was that an Alpine Swift?' - both laughing we drove on since we didn't have our bins or scope. The next day what was on Central news - 'Exhausted Alpine Swift brought in to Sandwell Valley RSPB Reserve' - so was it or wasn't it? - Wish I had my bins.

The Bird

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back