• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Marks On Eared Dove (1 Viewer)

Pitter

In my Guide to the Birds of Colombia by Hilty & Brown there is no mention of these irridescent green throat feathers on the Eared Dove. Have I mis-identified it or are they a feature too variable to include in the description?

Attachments

• lok.jpg
    lok.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Pitter,
I'm not an expert on these birds but I have never noticed that much iridescence on one (lived in Bogota and that is my only reference area). Is this just from the lighting in the photo or do you see that often? Here is a photo of one I took in Bogota:

Attachments

• eared dove.jpg
    eared dove.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 110
I live in Chile and see this bird in my yard all the time. I haven't realy payed much atention to that, but in my book "Birds of Chile" it says that it has a iridescent patch on hindneck.
I'll haev to pay more atention to that.

Well perhaps I had an especially colorful bird. Beleive me I jumped out of my seat when I saw those green feathers. I think it must be variable and perhaps depend on the angle of the light.

Without doubt an Eared Dove. More important than subspecies - is sex. Males have a far larger patch than females. Still, you've certainly captured an individual with a lot of green! Also, this colour is structural (like the gorget of many hummingbirds), meaning that angle is of great importance. In any case; you (and others) got the ID completely right...

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back