• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

PETER SCOTT PRINT 1957(Where was it painted) (1 Viewer)

brimo

HELP PLEASE I have a nice Sir Peter Scott print signed by him and dated 1957, the tatty frame and the paper on the back date back to then:The picture is of Mallards lifting off the water on a marsh drain.
Has anyone any idea where it was painted?. If anyone can help i will gladly email them a scan of it to help identify the location. also any idea of its value? i love it, but my wife keeps nagging me to sell it and sometimes 'she that must be obeyed' wins!....jOHN

NOOOOO!!!! You mustn't sell it....Peter Scott is virtually a Saint!!! Sell the wife instead LOL
Why not send an email to the Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust at Slimbridge....they may have some sort of idea as to the location/value etc.
http://www.waterscape.com/servicesdirectory/S/Slimbridge_Wildfowl_and_Wetlands_Trust.html

Can you not put it up in a room where it's not 'in your face' as it were..a spare bedroom or something...my hubby has a few paintings which I'm not a big fan of (and I have some which he isn't keen on LOL) but I wouldn't dream of telling him to get rid of them!
Good luck with your search.

GILL

brimo said:
HELP PLEASE I have a nice Sir Peter Scott print signed by him and dated 1957, the tatty frame and the paper on the back date back to then:The picture is of Mallards lifting off the water on a marsh drain.
Has anyone any idea where it was painted?. If anyone can help i will gladly email them a scan of it to help identify the location. also any idea of its value? i love it, but my wife keeps nagging me to sell it and sometimes 'she that must be obeyed' wins!....jOHN

DO NOT get rid of this! Gill is right. The choice is yours, but a painting keeps its looks forever.:)
;)

"If anyone can help i will gladly email them a scan of it to help identify the location. also any idea of its value? i love it, but my wife keeps nagging me to sell it and sometimes 'she that must be obeyed' wins!...."

JOHN, tell the wife that it's perhaps wise not to get too excited about it's value. Signed Scott prints are selling for as little as 99pence. There are so many of them available, licence to so many printers. Post a scan of it, and I will try and give you a link to a copy which is being sold at present to confirm a similar value. When Sir Peter died, I was trying to obtain an original or two, but it was impossible, as printers were trying to buy the pictures along with print copying licences at the time.

Regards

Malky

peter scott

please do not get rid of the peter scott painting as any peter scott fan will tell you the man is a legend in wildlife circle;s ihive read a book about him and it was by elspeth huxley it was called peter scott and the introduction was by sir david attenborough he lived up to two weeks before his 80th birthday it was a fab read long live his memery :clap:

I have an original peter scott 1948 painting, of ducks or teals coming into a marsh, ver nice, was wondering about it, or where to sell it,, any help would be helpful,, thank you

brimo said:

John,
I've a book by Peter Scott called Observations of Wild Life, which basically is a book of some of his wildlife paintings, if you want to post a picture of your painting I'll see if its in the book.

Dave

sailor101 said:
I have an original peter scott 1948 painting, of ducks or teals coming into a marsh, ver nice, was wondering about it, or where to sell it,, any help would be helpful,, thank you
Hello Sailor!
If you have an original Peter Scott you really ought to i) get it insured and cherish it, ii) if you need to sell it (!) - contact a good auction house (Sotheby's are decent) or iii) give it to someone who will really appreciate it (I can PM my home address if you wish ;) )

I took pictures of it and send it to some art places, and they say, oh, must be a print, I and others say no, you can see the layers of paint, and it is on a heavy paper, more interested in getting a value,, thanks for your replies, hope all is well,

sailor101 said:
I took pictures of it and send it to some art places, and they say, oh, must be a print, I and others say no, you can see the layers of paint, and it is on a heavy paper, more interested in getting a value,, thanks for your replies, hope all is well,
Sailor - if it's an original (and it really isn't difficult to tell) you have something of value. Get an insurance valuer to your house and they'll tell you.
Keep us informed, please - I'm intrigued.

have had some offers to buy the peter scott painting, from 5000 to 7000 but have decided to keep it,, thanks to all of you..

Good for you, Sailor!!!!
And it looks as though the painting has, indeed, found its rightful place.
Excellent story - (would love to see a photograph of the painting, if you would be so kind?)

Peter Scott

I know this post is old but im hoping for a reply, i have an original Peter Scott painting. Its beautiful, but im trying to find out the location of where it was painted. Im hoping maybe someone on here might have some information.

I also have a print of another painting.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back