• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Mastermind number 12 (1 Viewer)

1. Spectacled Warbler (sticking to my guns in the face of everyone elses knowledge!)
4. Isabelline Shrike - don`t ask which form (toyed with the idea of Blaearic Woodchat Shrike but tail does seem too rufous and contrasting)
5. Want to say Blyths Reed Warbler - but not happy with eye ring & pale lower mandible - but primaries look too bunched for Marsh Warbler - will think again on this one.

Last edited:
OK getting close to my bedtime yawn! So i`ll say:
1. Spectacled Warbler (have a hunch the photo is too old to support this - but thats cheating!)
2. Common Tern
3. Thrush Nightingale
4. Isabelline Shrike
5. Blyths Reed Warbler

#1 - is the picture defective?

There's nothing on the WPal list with rufous-brown forehead to top of crown, broad plain grey eyestripe angled up to the rear crown, brown cheeks, and three bright orange-red spots on an otherwise blackish-brown wing

Michael

It was taken at sunset, in stong red light..and is showing more contrast/shade than would be normal.

Here it is de-redded a bit and with the contrast turned down

Now the back looks realistic, but the breast has lost all its starling pinkness, which was there in life.

Attachments

• 12.1.JPG
    12.1.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Tim Allwood said:
Comm. tern
Sprosser
Red-backed Shrike
Hi Tim,

One of those can't be right, 'coz I only got (max.) 2 right with the same set ;)
That's why I changed allegiance to Arctic Tern (as I am more sure of the other two, than I was with the tern)

Michael

Hi Michael – I didn’t trawl thru the previous answers so missed the more precise nature of your elaeica than my old fashioned pallida and that little mathmatical conundrum :clap: that means one of my birds must be wrong – as long as the initial ID is correct of course (sorry Jane, only joking, lots of vino tinto B :) B :) consumed tonight! I must be in deep water after that scouser comment on the HB thread too o:) ) Guess my Comm Tern is the wrong un.

As Homer Simpson said: ‘if somethings difficult to do then it’s obviously not worth doing’ :h?:
So I’m off to bed. :bounce:
Will try again tomorrow unless u r right Michael

Its my hand in all but the last bird in the hand... so I got pretty close to them... I'm not perfect, I do make mistakes, but I guarantee the ID of 1 and 3... is correct. 5 caused no end of debate, argument and eventual back tracking.

No one ever did find the Boney's in that gull flock btw! I swear it was there when the camera went off.

Spectacled Warbler
Arctic Tern
River Warbler
Red-backed Shrike
Marsh Warbler

Can't stick around, to find out how wrong I am, I'll be late for work.

Mark

Hi , coming in late , did not look at the answers, honestly

I would give you the following for round one
Greater sandplover
Wheatear
gulbilled tern? maybe medgull and a whiskered tern from left to right
(Reminds me of the albufera de valencia where I saw these together this spring...)
Oops-that has a pointed tail-a sandgrouse (Pallas, Ithink)
Black wheatear

Second round
Spectacled warbler? but whats that red on the wing?
common Tern
Thrush nightingale
Isabelline shrike
Acrocephalus, but I dont know which

now I gonna look at your answers-to find out mine are all wrong...LBJ s for me is perhaps like ducks for you , Jane...though you would probably do better, having seen a lot I only dream of.

1) Spectacled Warbler
2) Arctic Tern
3) Thrush Nightingale (what's with the white in the tail though?)
4) Red-backed Shrike
5) Reed Warbler

Tim Allwood said:
: that means one of my birds must be wrong – as long as the initial ID is correct of course (sorry Jane, only joking, lots of vino tinto B :) B :) consumed tonight! I must be in deep water after that scouser comment on the HB thread too o:) ) Guess my Comm Tern is the wrong un.

As Homer Simpson said: ‘if somethings difficult to do then it’s obviously not worth doing’ :h?:
So I’m off to bed. :bounce:
Will try again tomorrow unless u r right Michael

Even if I have got one wrong... as long as I stick to my guns, your logic will work :cool:

Of the last batch, two is the best.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back