• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whinchat or stonechat? Riyadh,KSA (1 Viewer)

BirdingRob

Brit abroad
Having seen stonechat all winter with most being eastern stonechat, I am perplexed by this bird. Records show, we get a few passage whinchat in spring apparently

Which chat is it, please?

Sorry I only have one picture

Rob www.birdingforalark.blogspot.com

Attachments

• chat.jpg
    chat.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 384
A split verdict so far! Here's my take which I held back on saying so as not to lead (or look silly :)

I don't like the lack of orange throat for it to be a whinchat. I dont like the strength of the supercillium for it to be a stonechat. I haven't even seen a first winter male eastern stonechat (nevermind European) with that strong a supercillium. Also I can see a hint of a spotted rump (if you look carefully) which rules out eastern stonechat anyway.

Cheers Rob

Female/1st Winter male Whinchat...the apparant dark area beneath chin and throat in my opinion is shadow...looks like a standard Whinchat..with perhaps a little more white above the greater coverts than might be expected.

cheers

Believe me, if you ever spend time looking for Stoliczka's Bushchat in western India, you will find quite a lot of Stonechats with as annoyingly well-marked supercillia as this bird!

surely of the maurus/variegatus group of stonechat. no whinchat has a dark chin/throat for starters.

I agree - the white smudge on the back fits too and there's no sign of the white bases to the tail. Google pictures 'Eastern Stonechat' and you'll find several similar birds. The supercilium does look stronger thanin most, but this can be exaggerated by the angle/light etc. I also wonder if Whinchat would be present so early so for me it's certainly not a Whinchat,

I agree - the white smudge on the back fits too and there's no sign of the white bases to the tail. Google pictures 'Eastern Stonechat' and you'll find several similar birds. The supercilium does look stronger thanin most, but this can be exaggerated by the angle/light etc. I also wonder if Whinchat would be present so early so for me it's certainly not a Whinchat,

According to the range map in Collins...they Winter in the Middle East region.

Yes, Collins does say Whinchat winter where I saw this bird though the two best historical local recorders only have them in spring and autumn. However I have seen other birds in winter they only saw in passage (eg wryneck). So I would give Collins the credibility.

Also please note this bird does have a partly spotted rump which you can see in the picture if you look carefully. I am not saying it is a whinchat, it just doesn't look like any eastern stonechat I have seen up to now.

Last edited:
Also please note this bird does have a partly spotted rump which you can see in the picture if you look carefully. I am not saying it is a whinchat, it just doesn't look any eastern stonechat I see.

Huh? I see undertail coverts and flank but no rump on this one ?

Niels

Niels, maybe I am seeing things on the lower flank, taking it as rump.

Anyway I have finally reached my own conclusion about the bird (rightly or wrongly)! I just visited the Wikipedia entry on Siberian stonechat. Its very good! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_Stonechat.

I quote "males in winter plumage are intermediate between summer males and females with a supercilium resembling a whinchat". There is a picture of a male bird in winter plumage (from India) which is very close to my bird.

I guess Collins (Europe)and Helms (Middle east) can't show every gender/season possibility and I have not been looking hard enough at all the stonechat here.

Once again its been a learning curve. Thanks for everyones help.

Rob www.birdingforalark.blogspot.com

Its a certain Stonechat probably an eastern one

edit: Just to support that- look at the head (broader/flatter) shape in comparison to the body and the apparent short wings. Though you can't see the tips, I'd expect a Whinchat to have them "disappear" rather further down the tail

Attachments

• chats.jpg
    chats.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Huh? I see undertail coverts and flank but no rump on this one ?

Niels

A difficult angle, but maybe I am the only one to see a European Stonechat in this. Is there a displaced uppertail covert with a dark centre? Is the colour of the underparts too strong for Siberian? Is there indistinct streaking on flanks?

I feel sure Stenura will be able to help....

Brian S

Attachments

• chat-1.jpg
    chat-1.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back