• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Michael Warren exhibition (1 Viewer)

Is it just me, or does anyone else think Michael Warren is a very, very clever man?

http://www.wildlifeartgallery.com/pages/wildlife_artists/mike_warren1.html

Check out the marsh warbler, the shape of the bird is perfectly echoed by the shapes in the twigs and leaves. Or the jack snipe, the patterns on its back are, again, perfectly echoed in the background design.

Woody

As you menioned the Jack and Marsh W are super. Also liked the Black throats, Little Egrets, Garganey pair and the Bonelli's a lot. A stunning collection of work. Thanks for drawing it to attention Woody. Off birding for a few hours now....!

I'm certainly impressed by most things he does, so creative and such lovely results. He's certainly very clever, I'd love to know how to make people pay so much for a painting!

I'm certainly impressed by most things he does, so creative and such lovely results. He's certainly very clever, I'd love to know how to make people pay so much for a painting!

Was thinking that too looking at the prices....

Not that I think they are overpriced, just wondering if one has to do the exhibition circuit to get the acclaim before the prices can get to the right level to be able to go fulltime, or even prt time. Vicious circle working hard in a job and painting in spare time, would love to make a little money off it and cut down on working hours so I could get more done. Working up to 50 hours a week at the minute, always end up with laundry and errands to do on days off. Im getting out for a few hours now though. Hoping for a great grey shrike at Sandemar and perhaps a White Tailed Eagle or two...

Is it just me, or does anyone else think Michael Warren is a very, very clever man?
Woody
Nope - not just you, Woody - he's a genius. I think the way he's tempered his style from the almost wallpaper-pattern like designs he became famous for in the 70s/80s into such a naturalistic, yet still intensely rhythmic way of producing images, is testimony to his skill, intelligence, creativity and, above all, art.
Thanks for flagging this latest work up.

Woody you are far from alone in your appreciation of mr Warren. I to
have admired his work for a while now,if a little
late . Every now and then someone
comes along and re writes the rules if only slightly , But its enough
to know that you are witnessing genius.

Nope - not just you, Woody - he's a genius. I think the way he's tempered his style from the almost wallpaper-pattern like designs he became famous for in the 70s/80s into such a naturalistic, yet still intensely rhythmic way of producing images, is testimony to his skill, intelligence, creativity and, above all, art.
Thanks for flagging this latest work up.

Another big yes from MW from me- I can still rememebr my first encounter with his genius- a set of about 12 designs published in RSPB Mag waaaay back in the early 1970s, which (aged about 10 I guess) I cut out and treasured.

Two things have struck me about his recent work-

- the birds shapes have become much more orthodox, although still recongnisably him

- he is a rare example of an artist whose work IMHO looks even better when reproduced than in original, I think because the saturation and contrast gets cranked up a bit in the process.

Last edited:
I think the guy's design skills are fantastic. He manages to manipulate the natural patterns, textures and designs and highlight them without stylising to the point that they become unrecognisable as natural. Some of his works are almost like textile designs.

All very inspirational and simply lovely to look at too.

Woody

When I started painting properly, I tried to imitate his style so often (from the Shorelines period). His creativity knows no bounds, I'm certainly glad that he moved away from his very tightly done patterns from the 70s, his evolution is astounding. It's interesting that I went to the same secondary school as him (though I hasten to add I went many years later!)

It's interesting that I went to the same secondary school as him quote]
Won't be long before he's using the exact same quote, referring to you!!!!

doubt it, he didn't seem to like my work much. He also said that Ennion was no good at getting birds' shapes (!!!):eek!:

Still, a great artist and a great source of inspiration, almost as much as....... Ennion

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back