• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron BC-2 Hide Clamp (1 Viewer)

canonman77

United Kingdom
Hello guys. I am thinking about getting a Hide clamp & the Opticron BC-2 In particular. The clamp has the 42800 3-way pan head, basically Its all set-up. As anyone got one of these & are they ok for digiscoping use. The hides where I go & the times when I go dont really get that many people so vibrations wont be much of a problem..

Thanks.

Sean..

It depends on where you would attach the clamp. I don't like to extend any part of the scope/lens out of the window as the movement keeps the birds at least twice as far away in my experience. I usually sit back about 1 metre if I'm in the hide on my own and I've had Temminck's Stints at 7 metres. Also it has to be high enough to be comfortable for viewing without "scrunching" down.
I will be interested in hearing your experience with it.
Neil.

I have one which I use with my Nikon ED50 scope. I actually have the Opticron tripod, which has the removable centre column used in the hide clamp. Most of the time I just use it as a hide clamp. It works well with the little Nikon scope but I'm not sure it would work so well with a larger model. I also used to do a bit of digiscoping with the ED50 and it worked quite well although it was a bit back heavy with the camera attached.This meant that I would get the bird in the frame and lock the head up but sometimes when I let go of the scope and camera it would drop down a minute amount. It might struggle even more with a heavier or longer scope.

The other thing is that you are dependent on having a sturdy shelf in the hide. They vary a lot and a flimsy one will allow the scope to move about quite a bit, which can be a factor when digiscoping. One annoying thing I found was that I would sometimes be looking through the scope when something interesting appeared. Everyone in the hide would immediately lean forward with their elbows on the shelf and I would find myself looking at the sky.

Overall, I think the Opticron is probably as good as most hide clamps and mine works well with the ED50. They have their limitations for digiscoping, especially with a large scope, but they take up a lot less room in the hide than a tripod and are lighter to carry. I hope this helps.

Ron

Last edited:
hi guys, my OPTICRON BC-2 hide clamp arrived today & Im impressed, It looks & feels sturdy. I know Its not the same but I clamped it to my computer desk with the scope & camera on & It was rigid & felt fine, but I will be testing it out for sure next week (wednesday/thursday) most people will be at work so the hides should be empty, unless theres a school trip. Will let you know later on..

Regards.
Sean..

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back