• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woud this fit? (1 Viewer)

stevo

Hi all

I`ve got an old Slik D3 tripod i`ve taken the centre column out because I want to fit a different one with a Manfrotto head.On ebay i`ve just seen a Gitzo short centre column (carbon fibre)with a 3/8 screw on the top could I fit this to my slik d3?

Thanks

Steve.B :)B :)B :)B :)

I think your tripod's central column is a geared design.

In theory you can physically fit anything with the same diameter.

But you'll need to improvise a new locking system for the new center column.
I'm not sure how the gearing system will like a non-geared column.

To make sure without spending money I suggest trying a PVC plastic tube of the same diameter first (a piece of pipe like the ones you find in the hardware store will do).

Hope it helps

Last edited:
Hi all

I`ve got an old Slik D3 tripod i`ve taken the centre column out because I want to fit a different one with a Manfrotto head.On ebay i`ve just seen a Gitzo short centre column (carbon fibre)with a 3/8 screw on the top could I fit this to my slik d3?

Thanks

Steve.B :)B :)B :)B :)

Why can't you fit the Manfrotto head on the Slik centre column?

nirofo.

Why because when you`ve taken off the D3 head you`re left with just a centre column & nothing left to attach anything too.I`ve got around by leaving on the head then cutting off the mounting screw drilled it out then put in a 3/8 whitworth threaded bolt.

Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back