• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dowles Brook, Wyre Forest (1 Viewer)

Hi all,
Will be heading down to the Wyre Forest tomorrow for the first time, hoping to see a dipper and would also love to see a pied flycatcher :) Was wondering if anyone had any ideas on the best place to park there, hoping to go nice and early. Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers

We went on Sunday and parked in the small car park off Dry Mill Lane.
We saw one Dipper - we went down to the actual Dowles Brook from the cross roads on the old railway line beyond Lodge Hill Farm and saw the Dipper between there and Coopers Mill.
No sign of Pied Fly. Also we heard Wood Warbler but no sightings.
Hope that helps,
Alex
Hi all,
Will be heading down to the Wyre Forest tomorrow for the first time, hoping to see a dipper and would also love to see a pied flycatcher :) Was wondering if anyone had any ideas on the best place to park there, hoping to go nice and early. Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers

No sign of a dipper for me today, although did get a wood warbler, did enjoy the trip after getting my bearings eventually and will be looking forward to visiting more often!

Attachments

• DSCF6482 - Copy.jpg
    DSCF6482 - Copy.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 97
Anybody wanting to see dippers (plural) should spend time on or near the wooden bridge spanning the brook, near Coopers Mill. I worked there for several months and saw a pair there every day for 5-6 weeks.

Unfortunately my contract has finished and I am no longer a warden there, however a great place once you get your bearings.

First spring visit to the old railway line running from the car park at the end of Drymill Lane.

Maybe a little early in the season, but certainly less Wood Warblers than last year, and only one Pied Fly.

A lovely sunny warm day, so there were quite a few Pearl-bordered fritillaries on the wing, beyond the crossroads after Lodge hill Farm. A few Speckled yellow moths around too.

Highlight of the visit was a female(?) Tawny owl sitting in trees just before the crossroads, presumably ousted from the nest hole by large young.

Attachments

• tawny-owl-wyre-forest-04may.jpg
    tawny-owl-wyre-forest-04may.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 88
  • tawny-owl-zoom-wyre-forest-.jpg
    tawny-owl-zoom-wyre-forest-.jpg
    639.5 KB · Views: 106
  • pbf-wyre-4may14-upper.jpg
    pbf-wyre-4may14-upper.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 65
  • pbf-wyre-4may14-under.jpg
    pbf-wyre-4may14-under.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 61
  • speckled-yellow-wyre-4may14.jpg
    speckled-yellow-wyre-4may14.jpg
    580.1 KB · Views: 56
Sean - there was an article in this weeks Guardian 'Nature Notes' about Ghost Orchid. I have ripped it out but it may be viewable online.....

Laurie:t:

The Dippers are having a hard time down there at the moment raising their young. The amount of dog walkers and dogs jumping into the brook is disturbing them and the amount of photographers is also becoming a problem. I do photograph them myself so I am part of the problem but I am also a member of the Wyre Forest Study Group where I am involved in surveying and conservation work. The sad thing is we want to encourage more people to appreciate wildlife and the natural world but this will also bring with it it's own problems. The Dippers attempting to raise their young whilst being constantly disrupted is one example of this. These are just my observations and opinions. I welcome others thoughts. Thanks, Matt.

The Dippers are having a hard time down there at the moment raising their young. The amount of dog walkers and dogs jumping into the brook is disturbing them and the amount of photographers is also becoming a problem. I do photograph them myself so I am part of the problem but I am also a member of the Wyre Forest Study Group where I am involved in surveying and conservation work. The sad thing is we want to encourage more people to appreciate wildlife and the natural world but this will also bring with it it's own problems. The Dippers attempting to raise their young whilst being constantly disrupted is one example of this. These are just my observations and opinions. I welcome others thoughts. Thanks, Matt.

hi matt - no thoughts, just an observation:

on friday i saw a pair of dippers feeding young (in the nest) - on the bank opposite the nest there was a hide - it was unoccupied at the time but looked like it had been there a while - the 'hole for sticking your camera out of' was pointed directly at the nest so pretty sure it was there for the dippers

jon

A bit difficult with regard to the dog walkers (i am one myself) as this area is at least one where a dog can be off the lead and not have to worry about cars. IMO the birds cope fine and get used to it. Photographers however are a difficult kettle of fish. The activities of togs can be self-regulating so disturbance can easily be controlled - by not approaching the nest.

Attached is the new BB code of practice for photographers and those without common sense. It covers all the same ground with some new advice. The most important bit is stressed at the beginning and if you have some experience of both birds and photography then you do'nt need to read all the rest.

http://britishbirds.co.uk/birding-resources/bird-photography-–-a-new-code-of-practice

The welfare of the bird is paramount.........no exceptions.

Anybody taking any photos should always bear in mind that these photos are doing the bird no favours and is possibly drawing attention to the nest this also applies to those who keep re-visiting nests of species in order to 'check on them' - selfish or what?

Oh and for those indulging in tape luring (you know who you are):C

Thanks for your input guys. Jon a couple of people have been using hides there to try and get film footage of the Dippers feeding young at the nest site. There are other pairs along the brook so when I'm not working on the reptile project I am guilty of re-visiting different pairs to see how their young are developing and if there are any young that have fledged. I sit at the side of the bank in camouflage also covering my face and hands and they do continue to go about their business. The information I gather is passed on to the Worcestershire Biological Records Room through the Wyre Forest Study Group.

Some of the Dippers are ringed but I have no idea of who has been ringing them? The last study documented by the study group was way back in 2009 I think. If anyone knows who in the area is ringing the birds do let us know as we are interested to learn more.

I agree totally with the article you posted Laurie. Most photographers who appreciate wildlife and are in it for the right reasons are fine. It's the small percentage that turn up and do anything to get the photography they want that are the problem.

I agree that the welfare of all wildlife must come first.

Cheers again, Matt.

Matt:t: - Oh, do'nt start me off on ringers;)........

there were a couple of ringers at knowles coppice on friday morning, fiddling with the nest boxes - at least i hope they were ringers

personally i'm not too bothered by ringers - wing taggers however...

jon

3 Swifts over the Forest today, it's now officially summer. Also 6 species of butterfly, although no Fratillaries today, my first common Lizard and Dor Beetle of the year.
Jackie

Early morning visit today with my Dad.

Pied Flycatcher numbers seem up this year.

More Garden Warblers than Blackcaps.

Both very welcome !!

3 Swifts over the Forest today, it's now officially summer. Also 6 species of butterfly, although no Fratillaries today, my first common Lizard and Dor Beetle of the year.
Jackie

I did see a handful of Pearl Bordered Fritillaries today along the disused railway line, with one showing very well on the embankment at the crossroads beyond the second bridge.

Nice long stroll round the Wyre Forest today produced 1 male Pied Flycatcher, Wood Warblers, Tree Pipit, 1 male Cuckoo, garden warblers and Blackcaps a plenty, Dipper, Grey Wagtail,, male and female Mandarin at nest hole plus the usual suspects. Sadly didn't manage to see any Redstart again. They seem to be my Wyre Forest bogey bird.

I keep going to the Wyre Forest / Dowles Brook looking for Wood Warbler and Tree Pipit but I never seem to see any. I may be looking in the wrong places. Any advice welcome (pm me if easier), Thanks, Alex
Nice long stroll round the Wyre Forest today produced 1 male Pied Flycatcher, Wood Warblers, Tree Pipit, 1 male Cuckoo, garden warblers and Blackcaps a plenty, Dipper, Grey Wagtail,, male and female Mandarin at nest hole plus the usual suspects. Sadly didn't manage to see any Redstart again. They seem to be my Wyre Forest bogey bird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back