• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron MM3 60mm Stay-on Case... (1 Viewer)

Bill Atwood

Supporter
United States
Those looking for such a case may want to consider the Vortex Diamondback 60mm case (VD60, $49).

I've just acquired the scope (w/HDF zoom) and was looking for a stay-on case. Initial reviews of the Opticron case had fairly dismal opinions. Despite that I ordered the Opticron ($79) case, scoured the 'net looking for a back-up and found VD60 case.

Of the two I'm keeping the Vortex, although it's not perfect. The biggest fit issue is that it's about 1.5 inches too long (past the objective end). Other than that the fit is fairly good. It doesn't provide as much protection as the Opticron, it's just a neoprene fabric skin and there's no coverage of the focus knobs. However the VD60 case should be going to be easier to use in the field. Especially with a few tweaks I have planned, like attaching some velcro to 2-3 spots to improve securing the lens and eyepiece cover while in use, and maybe trimming off the extra length. Attaching a 3rd party hard cap to the inside of the objective cover is in the works also.

From online photos I thought the Opticron was just an overpriced, loose fitting cordura case. I was surprised when I actually had it in hand. It is well made of fine, sturdy material and has more padding than most. Unfortunately, 2-3 design elements just completely doom it. The worst is probably the large flap protecting the focus knobs. It is huge, stiff, unwieldly and...just plain awful. The objective cover is also stiff and difficult to secure to the body while using the scope. Letting case parts flutter in the wind usually results in jittery viewing, I won't stand for a case that has dangly bits. Granted, on such a small scope the real estate on which to place velcro on the body is limited, but a little more thought should have come up with some better implementation. Also using snap buttons to secure the objective and eyepiece covers adds to the difficulty. Velcro was used in other areas, it should of been used in place of the snap buttons.

Bill,

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I haven't used a case for either of my MM3 scopes but considering the inexpensive price of the Vortex I may pick one up for the 60 mm.

Thanks Frank, just be aware its not perfect. For now I'm rolling the extra fabric length past the objective back over the scope. The separate objective cover still fits over it.

It's possible there might be a better case option out there, but there doesn't seem to be many 60mm scopes and even fewer case/covers for them.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back