• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Made a fatal mistake (1 Viewer)

canonman

Made the huge mistake today of going into the infocus shop at Rutland water and having a look through the opticron mm3 with the hdf eyepiece.All I can say is wow what a piece of kit.I'm a bird and wildlife photographer but got myself a mm2 non ed a while ago and have really enjoyed using it in the hides with a hide clamp to scan about while waiting for stuff to photograph to come in range and shoot.I can't believe how sharp and bright it was and now im in love,i thought my mm2 was good till I tried the mm3 now I gotta terrible feeling I've got scope envy lol I can see this being expensive as im finding I enjoy the watching nearly as much as the photography.I have looked through big scopes but didn't want the size and weight and must say this compares admirably to the images from them.

I have looked through big scopes but didn't want the size and weight and must say this compares admirably to the images from them.

I have been saying that for the last two years. ;)

Today's Phonescoped pic through the MM3 and HDF zoom.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Buy one my friend. Superb little scope With a travel tripod you can get the whole thing in a back pack. Had mine about a year and love it

Buy one my friend. Superb little scope With a travel tripod you can get the whole thing in a back pack. Had mine about a year and love it

Just out of interest - what travel tripod do you have which can fit in a back pack? - I have an ED50 which is comparable size wise to the MM3 and am on the look out for a suitable travel tripod to go with it..

thanks

John

Just out of interest - what travel tripod do you have which can fit in a back pack? - I have an ED50 which is comparable size wise to the MM3 and am on the look out for a suitable travel tripod to go with it..

thanks

John

Hi John. A Velbon multi L. Not to sturdy but half way up its fine. Folds down very small and its light weight to

John, I just got an MM3 and after cheking other possibilities I got a Vanguard VEO 235AP. 5 sections, pan head (not the best) and folds down to 14,8 inches (37,5 cm). Weight is 3,6 lbs (1,5 kg). I've attached a couple of pictures so you can have an idea.

Vanguard VEO 235AP.jpg

This is the bike pannier-cum-backpack I use most of the times when I go birding, it's only 25 liters (Vaude Cycle 25). Inside you can see the tripod, MM3 60 inside its case, water bottle, 2 bird guides, binoculars and plenty of space ;)

AlforjaTripode.jpg

EDIT: I got a MM3 60 with SDL v2, so I thought that the 1,5 kg would be ok, since the scope in this setup is already around the 1000 g mark.

Last edited:
mathare, I considered that tripod, due to the incredibly low weight. How stable is it? Since I got the MM3 60 with the heaviest eyepiece I was concerned about stability.
(BTW, I see you got some new Vortex Viper, I'll be following your opinions in the other thread :t: )

mathare, I considered that tripod, due to the incredibly low weight. How stable is it? Since I got the MM3 60 with the heaviest eyepiece I was concerned about stability.
I have an Opticron 60mm scope (not the MM3 unfortunately) and the tripod itself copes admirably. I don't have a lot of experience with ballheads and I'd say the one with the Sirui tripod is OK but not sure I'd go anywhere near the 4kg they say it supports. The ballhead tension needs to be maintained to prevent drooping but I have used the tripod & ballhead with my very heavy Celestron 80mm scope successfully. You just need to keep the ball pretty tight. The ability to pan separately from the main ball is handy I must admit.

The MM3 will be much lighter than my Celestron 80mm even with the heavier Opticron eyepieces.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back