• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (20 Viewers)

Looks like an isolated snow shower over the right-hand island 8-P

Extremely localised kid8-P
Joking apart it looks quite impressive. When you think how long it took us to build all those islands over the last 30 odd years.mind you we did literally have buckets and spades:-O.
Until somebody invented the wheelbarrow after which the sky was the limit.;)

It looked like sand to me.

The Ruff may have been at the Flashes after being disturbed at the Moors by, apparently, shooting! I was told about it tonight. Plenty of disturbance on both sides of the reserve. 1. De-silting. 2. Trust recovery of a boat and 3. Shooting. Not bad for one day.
And 4. The Lifestyle break in which released another two male and six female Golden Pheasants onto the reserve.

Thanks to all the 15 of us for a great effort in damp conditions :t:
Andy A, Alan D, Bob O, Bobby P, Charles, Dave H, Jim B, Julie W, Kim W, Paul M, Roger S, Steve T, Sue T, Tony B and me

Tasks:
1. dead hedging along the NM trail on the eastern side. This will help screen the path from the area in front of the new hide.
2. The grassy/rank area between the plantation and the reeds was cut back to try and recreate a grassy area who knows we could even try and get some meadow plants to grow in the future.
3. Cut the reeds along the eastern edge of the reed bed where a channel was dug out in 2015. this has created a shallow boggy shore running into the cut grassland. Hopefully open enough for owls/kestrel to hunt over.
4. A channel was strimmed in the reeds, the area was very wet, deep and difficult /dangerous to work in. Paul managed to cut a good way into it hopefully something will appear in it.
5. a section of reed mace in front of the hide was removed to give views into the open water.
6. Planted clumps of 'juncus' (soft rush) in the shallows hopefully snipe will find the area soon.

Photo's
1. how the area in front of the hide looked before we started improvements 10th October.
2. The grassy area being worked on.
3. The new areas cut in the reeds from a distance
4. a close up of the area in pic 3.

Thanks to Jim and Sue for Apple cake and quiche.:eat:

NEXT WEEKS WORK PARTY WILL BE AT THE FLASHES....I REMIND EVERYONE NEXT WEEKB :)

Can I just add a point about the New Hide. At the moment birds are quite wary when feeding in front of the hide and it doesn't take much to flush them. So when approaching the hide do so quietly and open the door slowly cheers:t:

Instead of burning all the cut reeds why not pile them up to rot down and provide a site for grass snakes to lay eggs and amphibians to shelter in? They could be renewed regularly.

It would save a lot of effort that could be directed elsewhere. Just a suggestion.

Instead of burning all the cut reeds why not pile them up to rot down and provide a site for grass snakes to lay eggs and amphibians to shelter in? They could be renewed regularly.

It would save a lot of effort that could be directed elsewhere. Just a suggestion.

Grass Snakes lay their eggs in June & July, there are no work parties then due to the bird breeding season, however amphibians may use them to hibernate, although it would be preferable to save any small trees/branches and build a hibernacula if there were any amphibians around they are very likely to use it.

We haven't burned any reeds. willows and scrub yes but if left would be covered in bramble:t:
When we do burn reeds it would be in the winter when no snakes would be active. If left in piles it would dry out the reed bed and would be defeating the reason for cutting the reeds in the first place.

Grass Snakes lay their eggs in June & July, there are no work parties then due to the bird breeding season, however amphibians may use them to hibernate, although it would be preferable to save any small trees/branches and build a hibernacula if there were any amphibians around they are very likely to use it.

As you know Gav we do make a lot of dead hedging which in time are covered in bramble and form a warm dry habitat. We have got several wood piles scattered around the reserve .. but I agree with you about hibernaculas could do more of those mate :t:

We piled up all the cut willow herb , grass and reeds on Tuesday's work party a 15m long pile as you suggested.

Don't understand what you mean by " save a lot of effort that could be directed elsewhere "?????? Are you inferring we are wasting our time cutting reeds or having a fire??

Craig Round had a single Whooper Swan flying southwest over Lutley Wedge on Wednesday - I wonder if this is the bird that then turned up yesterday at Upton.

Whooper Swan still at the Moors Pool this morning as per JTB.

6 Green Sand at the Flashes at first light as per Andy P (a good count for the time of year) plus 4 Snipe and 2 Stonechat ; also 3 Little Egret at the Sailing Pool.

Last edited:
Popped in to look at new hide.....
4 Buzzard soaring
Kingfishwr flew high (ish ) right then dropped at back of reeds.

At east hide...
Whooper straight in front on far side.
Godwit in middle distance.
Little Egret in foreground

Kingfisher sat for a while on marker post.
12 ish Curlew dropped in for wash and sleep from car oark area.

As above with the addition of a pair of Mute swans flying past the new hide and a lovely display by the Kingfisher at the East hide.

Attachments

• A24Y4756.jpg
    A24Y4756.jpg
    546.9 KB · Views: 60
  • A24Y4794.jpg
    A24Y4794.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 72
  • A24Y4858.jpg
    A24Y4858.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 67
  • A24Y4835.jpg
    A24Y4835.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 49
I know that there is quite rightly no reed cutting during the active growth period whether there are nesting birds present or not. It doesn't matter if the reeds are cut in the winter as the pile will still be there at the time egg-laying takes place. Grass snakes have always layed eggs in rotting vegetation such as heaps of dead reed or debris washed up by flooding.

By "efforts that could be directed elsewhere" I meant simply that while people are lighting and tending a fire they might be better employed with other tasks such as (for instance) cutting and dragging brash, tidying up hides or mending rafts.

As for the Trust's instruction not to leave piles of cut material lying around I'm sure that means in accessible places not within 5m of the reed beds. if not somebody should ask Andy Harris for a) clarification and b) permission to create habitat that would help to enhance the biodiversity of the reserve.

I do know that when the pile of soil and rubble was moved to tarmac the N Moors car park there were three grass snakes and four common toads in it so creating some alternative sites would be beneficial. I also know that reptiles and amphibians don't hibernate in the true sense, they brumate. My user name might give that away ;)

This morning at Moors

A early start 7 am still dark.. A cold misty tart only 6 degrees. After bagging the WHOOPER SWAN. I spent 3 hours loitering between the east hide and east gate doing a bit of vis mig. Plenty of passerines around but no too many migrants.
The only birds adding were:-
Singles of Meadow pipit, Redpoll. Siskin. Grey wag. Chaffinch 10. Greenfinch 8. Redwing 120 but most were roosting birds. Starling moving but could just be roosting birds.Skylark. A high flying flock of 70 woodpigeons were almost certainly migrants.

Species Count Moors:
Little grebe 3. Little egret. Grey heron 2. Mute Swan 22. WHOOPER SWAN. Cormorant 16. Canada's 397. Greylag 50. Shoveler 80. Teal 46. Gadwall 2. Wigeon pr. Pochard 12. Tufted 15. Coot 138. Water rail 3.
Black tailed godwit. Ruff. Snipe 3. Lapwing 220.
BHG 120.
Kestrel. Buzzard 8. Sparrowhawk 2.
Kingfisher. Great spotted w. Woopigeon 70 migrants.. rook. Jay.
Skylark. Redwing 120. Mistle thrush. Grey wag. Pied wag 2. Starling 50.
Cetti's w singing. Goldcrest 3. Coal tit 2.
Greenfinch 8. Chaffinch 10. Bullfinch goldfinch 5. Redpoll. Siskin.

A early start 7 am still dark.. A cold misty tart only 6 degrees. After bagging the WHOOPER SWAN. I spent 3 hours loitering between the east hide and east gate doing a bit of vis mig. Plenty of passerines around but no too many migrants.
The only birds adding were:-
Singles of Meadow pipit, Redpoll. Siskin. Grey wag. Chaffinch 10. Greenfinch 8. Redwing 120 but most were roosting birds. Starling moving but could just be roosting birds.Skylark. A high flying flock of 70 woodpigeons were almost certainly migrants.

Species Count Moors:
Little grebe 3. Little egret. Grey heron 2. Mute Swan 22. WHOOPER SWAN. Cormorant 16. Canada's 397. Greylag 50. Shoveler 80. Teal 46. Gadwall 2. Wigeon pr. Pochard 12. Tufted 15. Coot 138. Water rail 3.
Black tailed godwit. Ruff. Snipe 3. Lapwing 220.
BHG 120.
Kestrel. Buzzard 8. Sparrowhawk 2.
Kingfisher. Great spotted w. Woopigeon 70 migrants.. rook. Jay.
Skylark. Redwing 120. Mistle thrush. Grey wag. Pied wag 2. Starling 50.
Cetti's w singing. Goldcrest 3. Coal tit 2.
Greenfinch 8. Chaffinch 10. Bullfinch goldfinch 5. Redpoll. Siskin.

Much the same this afternoon - additions / differing counts as follows:

2 Green Sand, 2 Little Egret, 5 Gadwall, 20 Cormorant, 11 Curlew, 23 Mute Swan (including 4 juveniles)

Craig later had 403 Canada Geese and 53 Greylag Geese.

Last edited:
Flashes this afternoon. After inspecting the work with the Contractors and Andy H I did a bit of birding. Stonechat meadow pipit x2. The weekend will be free of work and I won't be at the reserve tomorrow. So good luck everyone:t:

Pics today from around the Moors.....

Attachments

• Canon 2017  OCT 27 153 A_filtered.jpg
    Canon 2017 OCT 27 153 A_filtered.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Canon 2017  OCT 27 166 A_filtered.jpg
    Canon 2017 OCT 27 166 A_filtered.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Canon 2017  OCT 27 114 A_filtered.jpg
    Canon 2017 OCT 27 114 A_filtered.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Canon 2017  OCT 27 094 A_filtered.jpg