• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mr. Miketta's Slaty-capped Shrike-Vireo (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s another guy from the fringes of my MS, commemorated in the eponym ...

mikettae as in:
• the subspecies (Smaradolanius) Vireolanius leucotis mikettae HARTERT 1900 (here) as "Vireolanius mikettae" a k a "Miketta's Greenlet"
Named after the collector, Mr. R. Miketta, one of Mr. W. F. H. Rosenberg's correspondents.
= Rudolf Miketta (no birth nor death years found), collector of various Naturalia (birds, mammals, butterflies etc.) in Ecuador (at least from 1899 until 1906), who collected the Type in July (dates differ, either on the 23rd or 28th) 1899, at (Hacienda) Paramba, Northern Ecuador.

This Mr. Miketta was (together with his friend George Fleming) in about the samt years (from 1896 onwards all the way til 1914), hired by the Natural History dealer William Frederick Henry Rosenberg (1868–1957)*, who supplied Rothschild and the Tring Museum with several shipments containing numerous unique or duplicate specimens. Also see (for example) the following links; here, here and here.

As a small clue for further searches (if anyone feel up to it) I noted a "Rudolf Miketta Sudhoff" (born 1865) who in 1919 married Maria Alcira Miketta Sudhoff née Alarcon (born 1887), together they had 5 children ... in Ecuador ... who might, could, possibly be an at least plausible candidate. If he is? If it´s him? That´s beyond my grasp.

For what its worth!

Björn

PS. In any case; not to confuse with several other, as well earlier, contemporary and later, Rudolf Miketta's "out there", most of them from Germany. If "our guy" was German as well? Or Bavarian alt. Lombardian/Venetian, North Italian? Who knows?

Last edited:
As a small clue for further searches (if anyone feel up to it) I noted a "Rudolf Miketta Sudhoff" (born 1865) who in 1919 married Maria Alcira Miketta Sudhoff née Alarcon (born 1887), together they had 5 children ... in Ecuador ... who might, could, possibly be an at least plausible candidate. If he is? If its him? That´s beyond my grasp.
Presumably the same person [here], albeit with a Hispanized forename (Rodolfo), and a wife née Maria Alcira Mejia (but whose mother was named Alarcon).
Born in Germany, died in Ecuador; no dates given here.
(As usual, Sudhoff might also be Rudolf/Rodolfo's mother's name, appended to his family name to fit Hispanic usage.)

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Miketta's Greenlet Vireolanius leucotis mikettae Hartert., 1900 [Alt: Slaty-capped Shrike-Vireo ssp.]
R. Miketta (DNF) was a collector in Ecuador (1898-1899) for the Tring Museum ans W. F. H. Rosenberg (q.v.), the natural history dealer, who at that time had his premises in Tring.

Of course less than mentioned here. But life dates still not discovered.

Rudolfo Miketta Sudhoff
Birth:Apr 30 1867 - Breslau, Schlesien, Preußen, Alemania
Death:Feb 24 1960 - Bahía de Caráquez, Manabí, Ecuador
Wife:Maria Alcira Miketta Sudhoff (born Mejia Alarcon)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back