• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dawn Chorus (1 Viewer)

Well....that's a tough one. Although my guess would be that North America's morning songfest must be at least as boisterous as that of the UK. I once awoke, while camping, surrounded by Veery(s) and Ovenbirds. The noise was deafening!

dennis

Everywhere there's enough songbirds, I suppose. Every June I go to Ukishima March out in Ibaraki, Japan, expressly to stand in the morning twilight and listen to the dawn chorus of Fan-tailed and Japanese Marsh Warblers, Great and Black-browed Reed Warblers, Japanese Reed Buntings and Skylarks. Utter ecstasy!

it does not matter were you are in the world, if you have birds
to listen to , it can only be sheer bliss. food for the soul.
bert.
there can be no rainbow without a cloud and a storm.

Sorry just saw this thread but wanted to ask a question. Since I only just found out about "dawn chorus," are you guys using it in the same context as what I was told? That it's not just the lively singing first thing in the day but that it's also totally different from a bird's normal calls?

Reason I ask is when I was attempting to ID a bird I'd heard on a survey (which was a sp that shouldn't've been where I heard it), I ended up calling one of the AZ bird committee experts, who was the first to tell me about "dawn chorus" calls being different from those sung throughout the rest of the day. It's one of the least documented phenomena in birding, apparently, although there is also at least one CD coming out (in N.A. anyway) that'll address this for some species.

Anyway, just curious! :)

Katy

Dunno about the US, but in Britain and elsewhere in Europe that I'm familiar with, the dawn chorus songs are the same as they sing during the rest of the day - they just sing more frequently then. So e.g. a Chaffinch might sing once every 20 minutes in the day, but once every minute at dawn, but it is the same song.

Michael

Hi Katy,

Not sure about British birds having a different song for the dawn chorus. A lot of birds cut short their songs at times, whether this means they have been disturbed while singing is unknown to me. I know that the dawn chorus is special as the birds have nothing else to do until it gets light enough for them to start feeding so they really go for it with their songs. You do get to hear a birds full song the earlier it is in the day. Later on they seem to be more occupied with other chores, though the ones that go at it all day could be the ones without a mate yet.

You use the phrases song and call together in your message. Do you know that a song is different from a birds call? Song birds have their songs as territory markers and to attract mates. Birds have several different calls, some for just keeping in contact with mates, young or other birds. Other calls are used to alert others nearby to danger when a predator arrives. I think there has been some study into birds having different alarm calls for different predators! (Hope I'm not talking down to you with the above)

One aspect of a birds song/call that intigues me is the regional differences or accents. Even in a small country like the UK it is noticeable to the trained ear.

Mark

If you want a dawn chorus with a difference, go to Halls Gap in the Grampians, Victoria, Australia. Pitch a tent, and be woken up at six in the morning by a rock-concert speaker set-up playing static at you. The sound of several thousand Long-billed Corellas has to be felt (and I mean, felt - you don't just hear it) to be believed.

Michael, most interesting that there seems to be a difference between our two regions insofar as birds' singing behavior. I mean, I understand how there are regional variations in calls/songs, even plumages. But since all birds everywhere experience the same day/night cycle, you'd think they'd have the same cyclic behaviors. Although I have absolutely no scientific reason for thinking so.

I'll get ahold of this new CD (sorry, I just can't remember what it's called or who's publishing it) the AZ birds committee guy told me about and pass on its info. It may take a few days or even a couple of weeks. I'll also ask him about whether there've been any audio studies of European birds comparing their "dawn chorusing" with the rest of their day's repertoire. Now my curiosity is really piqued!

Mark D, not talking down at all! :) I'll pay closer attention to my call/song usage. The bird that I'd heard that morning was what I would've called a "call" and not a "song." But since I couldn't ID it, whatever it was may have been that species' song. Now I'm confusing myself. :) But yeah, I do know the differences. Like you, I'm also fascinated with how the same species' vocalizations can change based on geography.

Thanks you guys for responding to this older thread. I'll let you know what I find out.

Katy

Rain Chorus

I have never heard different specie's singing all at once in the
early morning. But I have heard relay's of house wren, and then mockingbird reverie's. They have the best I have ever heard, with the red cardinal coming in third.

We do hear in Florida a wonderful chorus of twittering after
a major rain. Kind of a praising of the wonders of the rain.
Birds everywhere seem to love a good shower, especially after
a long draught. Someone should do research on this subject.
I find it very fascinating.

Okay, folks, here's what the Cornell Lab of Ornithology has to say in their Home Study Course. They kindly gave me a couple of relevant pages in response to my inquiry about "dawn chorusing," but they were unable to confirm or deny <g> any CDs out there yet, esp. for flycatcher song comparisons. Anyhoo, here's what I found out, as promised:

Katy

Dawn Chorus
By Donald E. Kroodsma
(c) Cornell Lab of Ornithology
Home Study Course in Bird Biology, Ch. 7 "Vocal Behavior," pgs. 75-76
(References to track #s correspond to the CD-ROM for the course)

"Some of the most remarkable singing occurs at dawn, especially in temperate zones (Staicer et al. 1996). Most birds are silent the entire night, presumably roosting quietly somewhere on their territory. But beginning an hour or so before sunrise, males begin their dawn chorus. Each species chimes in at a slightly different light level, often beginning with American Robins, and other species join in a rather regular sequence. The quantity and often the quality of singing during this time differ markedly from singing during the rest of the day (Track 53, Track 54).

"Species vary considerably in how they behave at dawn. During daytime singing, an Eastern Towhee sings one song form (say, A) over and over, and then introduces another (say, B), then another, and perhaps another, until he has delivered his entire repertoire of three to eight song types over a period of an hour or so. His singing pattern might be illustrated as AAAA... BBBB... CCCC... and so on. The pattern is one of "eventual variety," in which a male repeats one song type many times before "eventually" proceeding to the next type. At dawn, however, the towhee sings with "immediate variety," perhaps delivering all of his song types in 20 to 30 seconds: ABCABCDEDE. The singing is far more energized and dramatic than it is during the daytime.

"Chipping Sparrows also sing differently at dawn (Fig. 7-17). A typical daytime song is about two seconds long, and consists of perhaps 20 repetitions of a single song element. The male pauses 10 or so seconds between successive songs (Track 55). While singing, the male typically sits on an exposed perch high in a tree. At dawn, however, a male often sits on the ground near a male from a neighboring territory and delivers bursts of song as if they were shot from a machine gun. He sings two or three elements of the song, pauses briefly, sings another burst followed by a pause, and so on (Track 56). As with the towhee, the vocal display seems highly energized, even frenetic.

"Other species use entirely different songs at dawn than during the day. Certain warblers that have two song categories use their aggressive songs for the first 30 to 60 minutes of the morning, after which they lapse into a slower-paced delivery of their other song. A male Yellow Warbler uses about 12 songs delivered with immediate variety during his dawn chorus, and after half an hour or so he switches to his single daytime song type. The male reverts to songs of his aggressive dozen during daytime encounters with other males, too, but the singing is never as energized as at dawn. American Redstarts behave similarly, although songs of their aggressive repertoire more typically number only three or four. Some flycatchers, too, such as the Eastern Wood-Peewee (Fig. 7-58), use qualitatively different songs at dawn (Craig 1943) (Track 57, Track 58).

"The drama at dawn is truly extraordinary, as if so much pent-up energy is unleashed. But why? Why such a burst of energy at dawn, and again, why does that energy reveal itself in such diverse ways?

"Researchers have proposed many ideas for why dawn singing is so dramatic (Staicer et al. 1996). Perhaps males sing at dawn because that is the best time to attract females, especially those who have migrated and arrived overnight. Conditions at dawn are often calm, too, so song at that time carries the maximum distance. Furthermore, during the dawn chorus conditions are often too dark to forage, so singing then is an efficient use of time. Or perhaps singing at dawn is especially important for territory defense; dawn follows the longest period of inactivity, and predation occurs at night, too, so dawn might be an important time for a bird to proclaim "I am still alive" and "This territory is still mine."

"The energized displays and often dramatic interactions, such as those of Chipping Sparrows, suggest that during the dawn chorus is when patterns of social dominance are established and daily reconfirmed. Little is known about dominance patterns among males on adjacent territories, but females may attend to such displays and make mating decisions, both intrapair (between mates) and extrapair (with a bird other than the mate), based on male singing exchanges. So many extrapair fertilizations take place in some species, such as the Indigo Bunting and Red-winged Blackbird, that any kind of ritualized display that establishes male hierarchies and broadcasts information about them would benefit listening females. A female Black-capped Chickadee, for example, will mate with males other than her social partner, and her extrapair gambit tends to be with a male higher in the dominance hierarchy than her own mate (S.M. Smith 1988). She could base her decision on her knowledge of dominance hierarchies established during the winter flocks, but that knowledge is probably reinforced by information she gleans from the dawn performances of males in the population. For many species, perhaps singing at dawn is a formal way to establish and monitor social relationships and hierarchies, giving individuals in complex societies the information they need to make wise decisions.

"The dawn chorus probably serves multiple purposes, with the emphases undoubtedly varying from species to species, just as social environments and management differ among species. Our failure to understand the full implications of the dawn chorus, however, in no way diminishes the drama played out each morning in these extraordinary singing displays (Fig. 7-59)."

Last edited:
Hey, me too, Charles! I have these two pages courtesy of a woman at the Lab, I'm not actually taking the course, although I'd like to. No moolah and even less time. :)

I'm still looking for specific flycatcher dawn chorus info, if any more exists than what I'm finding now. It's obviously an embryonic field of study in ornithology.

Katy

It's a very interesting phenomena. And some species in the morning broadcast their song from the very tip top of the tallest
tree. Or as in Mockingbirds, they love telphone wires. I heard
the most amazing musical rendition from, I believe a house wren one morning. I was just stunned.

There has been some research done recently on the connection between eye size and the time that different species of birds start to sing in the morning. Birds with large eyes (ie. blackbird) start to sing earlier than those with small eyes (ie. blue tit). As singing attracts predators, only the birds who can see well in the half-light can afford to sing early. Small birds sing earlier than larger birds with similar sized eyes, one explanation might be that they cannot store up as much food overnight as larger birds, so they have to sing earlier to enable them to feed earlier.

saluki

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back