• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

USB Pen Crisis! (1 Viewer)

dan pointon

Can't Stop
Help! Just snapped the metallic bit (that goes in to the computer) off my USB pen. It's got quite a bit of important info on which I haven't currently got backed up. The data card inside it is still perfectly intact it is just the metal bit that provides a link from memory to computer port that has come off. Anyone know if I will be able to get this repaired and at what sort of cost?

Cheers

D

You (or your local pc repair man) could cut the business end from an old usb lead and solder the four wires (in the correct order!) onto the pins/stubs of the card and then recover the data as normal

You (or your local pc repair man) could cut the business end from an old usb lead and solder the four wires (in the correct order!) onto the pins/stubs of the card and then recover the data as normal

Hello Kentbloke,

I am not familiar with the sensitivity of the flash card, but a "heat sink" might be recommended while soldering. Alternately, buy another card, disassemble it, and see if a transplant is possible.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Last edited:
I have tried this three times in the past and been successful only the once. You need a fine tip for your soldering iron and to be as quick as possible no longer than 5 seconds on each joint, tops, letting the thing cool completely between each of the four joints to reduce heat build up. Try not to blow the thing with static either, earth yourself before you handle the pen drive. To be honest I think a couple of my failures probably suffered more serious damage before I was given them and would therefore never have worked, so you probably stand a very good chance at recovering your data if your careful.

What's the difference - flash drive, pen drive, usb key? I am looking to buy a 4 gig stick to carry my documents from one location to another.
I keep hearing all these terms thrown around and was wondering if there was any difference between a flash drive, pen drive, usb key, etc?
Is there any difference or are they just all words that refence the same piece of equipment.

Last edited:
What's the difference - flash drive, pen drive, usb key? I am looking to buy a 4 gig stick to carry my documents from one location to another.
I keep hearing all these terms thrown around and was wondering if there was any difference between a flash drive, pen drive, usb key, etc?
Is there any difference or are they just all words that refence the same piece of equipment.

Hello Marchelyx,

Yes. A flash drive, can be placed in an object which can resemble a key, or a pen, but they always fit in a USB port. I was in a shop yesterday, where I bought a small stubby device with a gig of flash drive memory. There were two 4 gig keys available, each on a key ring. I could have attached my house keys to the ring.

Incidentally, the price is much lower than they were five years, ago.

Happy bird watching and welcome to the Forum,
Arthur Pinewood

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back