• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

revivingKensArt (1 Viewer)

Thanks all. I had an interesting time with the willow flycatcher, user. We've seen them at this place the last two late summers/early falls. It seems like good breeding habitat but I and my wife had never noticed them in early summer. So we weren't sure if they bred here. Then yesterday just as I was getting ready to leave I heard 'fitz bew!'. So I tracked him down and found him sitting cooperatively at the top of a dead branch. I hope this means that they breed here.

Those calls are a great help with the empidomax. Not as easy to ID when they stop singing, though I still think you can make a semi-educated guess. Of course more knowledgeable people than me say no you can't!

Ken,

We have the same problem with certain Warblers here in Europa! But I'm understanding that Empids can be pinned down on voice where you are. The Alder we had here had to be ID'D on a range of subtle biometrics. Argh! :eek!:

If only it had been more vociferous!

I await more of your Solitary Vireo Song! :t:

Ken, your recent efforts are very nice indeed. I love the empid flycatcher, it brings back memories of a trip to pelee in May 03. I think Least and Acadian were the only ones we could ID with certainty. With all the lovely dendroicas and vermivoras lighting up the trees it was no big deal, though!

Out of interest, can you tell me what pens you are using? Some of your work reminds me of Hermann Heinzel's, which I love, especially the Galapagos one he did with Barnaby whatsisname.

Cheers

Russ

Tree swallow's a treat Ken, and the flycatcher's a good 'un too. I think the blue shadows would work great so long as they're kept clean. It's surprising what works when it comes to white's or greys in shadow.

Mike

Thanks all, and thank goodness for vociferous empidomax flycatchers! At least some have eyerings to help the ID when they're not singing. But I sure prefer to hear them singing away. I remember the first time I heard a Willow calling 'fitz-bew!'. It was an aha moment.

Russ, all of the pens I've been using recently are from Faber-Castell. The hard metal point ones, as in the Tree Swallows, are called 'Pitt Artists Pens.' The points come in four sizes and three colors I think. The felt-tip drawings I've done recently, and which I include here, are done with 'Pitt Artist Pen-Brushes', the difference being that they are soft and flexible. Because of that though it's hard to get a thin fine line. I'm unfamiliar with Hermann Heinzel but will see what I can find out. I see the Galapagos book on Amazon with a few illustrations. And you're right about the lovely dendroicas! Can't get too excited about anything else when they're around! Sad to say the spring migration I think has ended here. I've seen one wood warbler, a yellow, in my last 3-4 trips out.

Ah if only I had kept it clean, that blue shadow might have worked well Mike. But I got a bit sloppy. Ah well always can do another version.

I'm including a couple of new felt-tip pen-brush drawings today. I'm not thrilled with either. But I do want to keep up the experimentation. One is of two tree swallows, based on some photos I took of the ones I drew in field the other day. The other is one of the first Yellow-rumped Warblers of spring sitting on some beeches, whose golden-orange leaf buds were shining brightly. It was a really striking photo but I couldn't figure out how to make anything of it. Then I thought that felt-tips might capture that brilliance.

Attachments

• treeSwallowsFT053010.jpg
    treeSwallowsFT053010.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 31
  • yellowRumpWithBeechFT053010.jpg
    yellowRumpWithBeechFT053010.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 35
These felt pens certainly bring vibrancy to a work Ken.

The only thing lacking, for me, would be the lack of ability to blend colours without the interlacing cross hatching. Perhaps you would like Copic markers or Magic Markers that were used extensively in the advertising world for visuals. (Scamps to show visually illiterate clients what the finished thing might look like!)

Mostly been ousted by computer work now but I reckon a well done marker visual is a thing of beauty. Here's an example I found, look at the blending of colours on the tabletop. Might be worth considering? They come in a huge range of colours and double ended design gives a fine point and a broad point in the same pen.

Mike

Attachments

• nokia-noodle-bar_lrg.jpg
    nokia-noodle-bar_lrg.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 31
Ken,

We have the same problem with certain Warblers here in Europa! But I'm understanding that Empids can be pinned down on voice where you are. The Alder we had here had to be ID'D on a range of subtle biometrics. Argh! :eek!:

If only it had been more vociferous!

I await more of your Solitary Vireo Song! :t:

AAArrgghh indeed Phil....i hate being told what a bird species is on biometrics..!

If i can't 'see' or 'hear' to identify a species or sub species...then forget it..!
Each to their own tho...whatever keeps you happy..!B :)

Ken....i'm still finding these felt tip pictures very appealing...there's something very clean and fresh about them....:t:

I think after doing about 20 of these now that I'm pretty clear on their limitations: no blending as Mike has said, and really not much of a way to get lighter values. Even the darker values are limited to a couple of colors: a brown and a blue, at least in the colors that I have. Mainly I just have bright full saturation colors.

But I still like fooling around with them. They do seem to allow a quick test of what something might look like perhaps done more methodically in another medium. I do think that they really are more graphic than painterly though and that if I use them I'll need to work around their limitations by using cross-hatching and other patterns to get both color blends and tonal variation.

Thanks for the ideas on other markers Mike. For the moment I'll stick with these even with their limitations. I don't really have any burning desire to work in felt-tips but I just found something that I did like about these.

If I can keep them clean and fresh, as user says, then I'll be happy. Those are certainly qualities that don't always appear in my watercolors!!

While I was waiting for my 15 minute watercolor to dry so I could photograph it I decided to take a stab at these Black Skimmers that I saw at Heislerville WMA in NJ last month. Often you can get pretty close to them but this group was really far out. When I looked at the photo though I thought I could turn that to my advantage by including much of the water, the Laughing Gulls and the Forsters Terns.

Attachments

• skimmersFT053110.jpg
    skimmersFT053110.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 37
Thanks Tim, user. I did sneak in a little orange into the bills of the skimmer, but nowhere near so subtly as the blue in RussB's recent sketches. I was happily surprised at how well this seemed to turn out using mainly grays and blacks. You just never know what's going to work

Ken,

The honesty of your work delights me again!

I'm always astonished by the new diversions. Trying everything to get a result.

Am watching you closely here!

Best regards!

phil

nice monochrome sketch...like something called Notan there is even a set of pens to made for it. Notan is a 3 value sketch to work out comp in landscape....not the japanese notan. I have the pens, but don't use them, but a notan sketch looks just like this.

Zoot alores! I af meesed one! (for fans of the Little mermaid). Love how the shapes in the waves marry up with the bird shapes waiting patiently for discovery at the top.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back