• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

revivingKensArt (2 Viewers)

Nice work with the Ibis and flycatcher, Ken. I very much like your handling of light on the Arcadian.
Before long you'll have painted every warbler and flycatcher from my Pelee experience! Now when can I expect Golden-winged and Cerulean wablers?

Regards

Russ

Thanks all. I once had a wonderful encounter with a Golden-winged Russ where my wife and I had just sat down to rest and a male landed only about 10 feet away and 6 feet up. Sad to say I wasn't drawing birds then. But the memory is still strong.

One thing that really struck me in the juvenile White Ibis was the speckling on the neck almost like that of many shorebirds, a rich combination of ochres and browns. So I'd like to paint that.

But most of the photos I took show much of the bird in shadow so you can't see that color. In any case I did one small watercolor based on a photo of the bird in shadow and am showing it. I see many mistakes but the only one I think I'll fix is to tone down whatever it has in its mouth so it's not so dark.

I think I'll go back and try to do another that shows off the neck a bit more. That will be based on my field sketches and memory. Just can't get that neck out of my head.

Attachments

• whiteIbisWC071611.jpg
    whiteIbisWC071611.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 45
After the fact I see that I've learned nothing from Tim, John Busby or the members of this forum regarding reflections! And I had the tail a bit long and extended.

The new and final version.

Attachments

• whiteIbisWC071611V2.jpg
    whiteIbisWC071611V2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
So nice to see all these sketches Ken, it shows what happens when an artist goes a-birding, and sets the scene for the work to come from genuine field experience.

Mike

So nice to see all these sketches Ken, it shows what happens when an artist goes a-birding, and sets the scene for the work to come from genuine field experience.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Your line about 'a-birding' reminds me of one of my all-time favorite birding book titles, 'A-birding on a Bronco' by Florence Merriam in 1896. Sad to say I've never read it.

I'm enclosing a couple of photos from my group show. One of the two linocuts, and another of my wife Jerene perusing the art.

Attachments

• mracPrints071811.jpg
    mracPrints071811.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 42
  • mracPanorama071811.jpg
    mracPanorama071811.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 39
Cuts look super, Ken - really lovely. So does Jerene - just a tad distant and, I'm sure, from her worst side. Keep us up to date on sales, please? (surripticiously, if the taxman's a watch'n).

Thanks all. As many of you know it's nice to see your work up, framed and on a gallery wall after seeing it in less than ideal conditions in whatever functions as your studio.

I'm including another small watercolor sketch of the juvenile White Ibis. This one does a better job of getting the variation in the neck color though the spatterdock at the back tells me I need to continue to work on vegetation. No surprise there!

Attachments

• whiteIbisWCNo2071911.jpg
    whiteIbisWCNo2071911.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 43
like how you have softened the reflection here

I really don't much like reflections Colleen. They often seem just way too stiff, like something copied from a photo, except in the hands of a master like Tim. So I think I'm better off if I just sketch them in.

The big problem with me in this one is trying to remember how big the spatterdock is. I sketched the bird but not the vegetation. In my photos it looks as big as the bird. But that seems unlikely and I know telephoto lenses can magnify objects in the background. But without any sketches it's very hard for me to determine how large the individual plant leaves really should be. So this is a bit of fudging............

Ha! Can't wait to see this develop Ken!

Me too Phil! Not exactly as though I know where it's going. These types of prints are always an adventure.

Colleen, yes you're right about how reduction prints work. You keep cutting away the colors you've printed. The difficulty with that is that you're pretty much stuck with what you've already done. So I've already printed an edition of 18 for this and it's mainly yellow and blue as in the proof I showed. If I decided I wanted to get back the white of the paper I'd be completely out of luck. The white disappeared after I printed the first color. So basically you have to make good guesses about what you want to keep, how it's going to develop, etc. But they're only guesses!

I'm including a photo of the block itself. The raised area where it's not yellow is the area I still have to carve and print, with at least 4-5 additional colors if things go as planned.

The thing I really like about reduction linocuts is that, at least for me, there's no way to get bogged down in detail. So I think it keeps the abstract part of me happy.

I hope one day to be able to paint this way. But I'm not there yet.

Attachments

• blackburnianLinoBlock072411.jpg
    blackburnianLinoBlock072411.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 35
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back