• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MM3 with HDF (1 Viewer)

Mono

Hi!
Staff member
Supporter
Europe
I have an Opticron ES 80 (the v1 before they did a separate SD and ED version) with the HDF zoom (40862), with the fold down rubber eye cup rather than the newer twist up. It looks different to the current HDF although it has the same model number?

I am thinking of getting an MM3 as a travel scope, would I be getting the best out of it with my current eyepiece or is the SDL that much better?

The old HDF is optically the same as the current version with the twist-type eyecup so comparisons of your eyepiece to the SDL will be as valid as with the latest models.

The SDL offers a sharper image but you really need to try it for yourself to see if the investment is worth it. I guess your nearest stockist would be Lamberts of Lancaster.

We sell the vast majority of MM3 scopes with HDF eyepieces.

HTH

Pete

We sell the vast majority of MM3 scopes with HDF eyepieces.

HTH

Pete

Which is why, I am at an absolute loss as to why the mm3 50 will no longer have a fixed 18x HDF eyepiece.

On a straight mm3 50, it is hand holdable, or even better, monopod compatible with masses of eye relief.

Insanity.

Mono, the SDL is waterproof, the HDF is not, very important to me on Dartmoor, pretty sure waterproof may matter to you in the Lake District.

Cheers.

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back