• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

César Desgraz' or des Graz' invalid White-bellied Cuckooshrike (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Following in the foot-steps of the great explorer Dumont d’Urville made me stumble upon a minor addition on ...

desgrazii as in:
• the invalid "Campephaga desgrazii" BONAPARTE 1850 (here) ... however no out-spoken dedication nor explanation ...

Only reference "Gr. ex Hombr. et Jacg. Voy. Pole Sud. Ois. t.7. I" = Homron & Jacquinot's Voyage au pole sud et dans l'Océanie sur les corvettes l'Astrolabe et la Zélée : pendant les années 1837-1838-1839-1840, Zoologie (in Parts; Mammifères et Oiseaux) published 1842, vol 1, Oiseaux: Plate 7, fig 1 (here) ... which lead us (here)!

Today's HBW Alive Key tells us:
desgrazii
César L. M. des Graz (b. 1816) French secretary to Dumont d’Urville on the Astrolabe expedition 1837-1840 (syn. Coracina papuensis).
From what I can tell the full name of César Desgraz (or des Graz), born 1816, Secrétaire particulier du Capitaine (Personal secretary to the Captain) Dumont d’Urville on the Astrolabe expedition was: César Louis François Desgraz (no death year found).

Also see links; here, here ... and elsewhere, he´s not that hard to find. Born 28 August 1816 (in Toulon?) ... or?

Some geneaology pages writes his surname either way and his Christian names in a different order (in either case, the same names).

For what it is worth!

/B

Doesn´t this tell us that he did was born on that date; 28 August 1816, but in Smyrne (Smyrna), Turkey ... and that he died (see the first Leonore document, bottom page): 22 March 1865 ... ? Or?

Yes I agree. I had looked for a death date but one was not obvious but I think you are right. Wikipedia says:
İzmir began to be one of the foremost trade centers of the Empire. Foreign consulates moved from Chios to the city by the early 17th century (1619 for the French Consulate, serving as trade centers for their nations. Each consulate had its own quay, where the ships under their flag would anchor. His service on the Astrolabe is mentioned on page 5.

I cannot find Graucalus desgrazii listed in any of the more recent checklists (Mathews 1930, Systema Avium Australasianarum, Pt. II, pp. 534-536; Mayr 1941, List of New Guinea Birds, pp. 103-104; Peters Check-list 1960, IX, pp. 179-181; Beehler & Pratt 2016, Birds of New Guinea, pp. 371-372). Only Sharpe 1879, Cat. Birds British Museum, IV, Passeriformes, Cichlomorphæ: Pt. I, p. 39, and Salvadori 1881, Ornitologia della Papuasia e delle Molucche, II, p. 133, show it, as a synonym of Graucalus papuensis. However, it would appear to be an intermediate between papuensis and angustifrons (noted for its thicker, blacker lores). This form was named intermedia by Rothschild 1931 and came from the Upper Setekwa River, southwestern New Guinea. Intermedia is recognised by Mayr 1941 and by Peters 1960, but not by Beehler & Pratt 2016 ("exhibits plumage intermediate between the nominate form and angustifrons. We don't believe the level of distinction merits formal recognition.").

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back