• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chicks Vanished (1 Viewer)

ckaiser

Hello,
I am a bird lover, but very much a novice. We always have food out for finches and hummingbirds. We also have 2 bird houses which had never been used.
This year however, a pair of very tiny finches (never seen this variety before) made a nest in one of the houses, and hatched and fed their chicks for two weeks.
Suddenly one day they were all gone. No sign of the parents which had been very busy in and out constantly feeding their kids. And not a peep from the kids...which had been very vocal. Also no sign of violence (no bodies, shells, feathers etc. lying around)
The chicks were only two weeks old (exactly) and we had never seen them outside the bird house so I doubt that they flew away. Also we don't have any neighborhood cats.
So I'm trying to puzzle out what might have happened to them. The only non-bird creatures I've seen in my neighborhood are red squirrels.
Any ideas where my little neighbors have gone?
Thank you!

Hello,
I am a bird lover, but very much a novice. We always have food out for finches and hummingbirds. We also have 2 bird houses which had never been used.
This year however, a pair of very tiny finches (never seen this variety before) made a nest in one of the houses, and hatched and fed their chicks for two weeks.
Suddenly one day they were all gone. No sign of the parents which had been very busy in and out constantly feeding their kids. And not a peep from the kids...which had been very vocal. Also no sign of violence (no bodies, shells, feathers etc. lying around)
The chicks were only two weeks old (exactly) and we had never seen them outside the bird house so I doubt that they flew away. Also we don't have any neighborhood cats.
So I'm trying to puzzle out what might have happened to them. The only non-bird creatures I've seen in my neighborhood are red squirrels.
Any ideas where my little neighbors have gone?
Thank you!

They will have fledged and flown away together to a safer location. This happened to my Great Tit juveniles last year, one day feeding next day all gone. However within a few days the Adults brought the Juveniles back to feed them on my feeder.

So don't worry too much. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back