• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Borneo (Sabah) (1 Viewer)

madpitta

United States
Hello all,

I birded for 16 days in Borneo this August, in particular Sabah state in Malaysia. The following sites were visited (in order): Selingaan Island, Sepilok, Kinabatangan, Danum Valley, Crocker Range (1 day), Kinabalu NP, Poring (half day only). Here is a summary:

- All the montane endemics were seen much faster than expected - 1 day Crocker Range, 2.5 days Kinabalu. This was in spite of general unresponsiveness in the highlands.
- Among the major lowland targets, only the Giant Pitta, Bornean Ground-cuckoo (both heard) and Cinnamon-rumped Trogon were not seen. Of course some other more widespread birds were missed too but they were not major targets.
- Now although I missed the Giant, I was still particularly lucky with the pittas, with multiple sightings of several (4 each of Bornean Banded & Blue-headed, 3 of Black-crowned, 2 of Hooded, 1 of Blue-banded).
- A total of 289 species were recorded (including 12 heard-only) in effectively 16 days.
- 22% of all birds recorded are featured in the IUCN red list :(
- All broadbills except Hose's seen very well. 8 species of hornbills including a spectacular encounter with a Helmeted.

Link to detailed trip report with diary, photos, maps, site descriptions, annotated trip list:

http://www.cloudbirders.com/tripreport/repository/BARUAH_Borneo_08_2015.pdf

Enjoy!
Pritam.

Last edited:
Look forward to comparing notes

We didn't do Crocker or Poring, been before, but also did well on Mount Kinabalu

You got a couple of birds that we missed

I'm tracking your posts. Looks like some species have frustrated both of us :)
Barred Eagle Owl, Banded Pitta and Everett's Thrush were very good birds that we missed. We were told by Osman one of the guides that since the trail round the power station was closed and the start of summit trail under repair that Everett's Thrush is very hit and miss as they don't seem to have established new territories and with porter carrying lots of gear up to make repairs there is ongoing disturbance.
Surprised you got that frustratingly close to the Ground Cuckoo as none of the guides at Sukua had even heard them for a couple of months, all we heard was a tape being played obviously from another boat.

Barred Eagle Owl, Banded Pitta and Everett's Thrush were very good birds that we missed. We were told by Osman one of the guides that since the trail round the power station was closed and the start of summit trail under repair that Everett's Thrush is very hit and miss as they don't seem to have established new territories and with porter carrying lots of gear up to make repairs there is ongoing disturbance.
Surprised you got that frustratingly close to the Ground Cuckoo as none of the guides at Sukua had even heard them for a couple of months, all we heard was a tape being played obviously from another boat.

Historically the Everett's Thrush is best tried for in the Bukit Ular Trail. The lower entrance was still open so perhaps you could have tried there.

The ground-cuckoo seemed to be absent along the Menanggol and Tenanggang. We only heard it in one area between the Tenanggang turnoff and KJC jetty. I think it would have been better for my mental state not to have seen the tail.

As I have said and many people have seen it this way, Everett's Thrush is out there at the roadside in the early morning and (maybe even better) in the (early and) late afternoon, as there is hardly any traffic that time of day. Walking down the road proved to be a good tactic.

As I have said and many people have seen it this way, Everett's Thrush is out there at the roadside in the early morning and (maybe even better) in the (early and) late afternoon, as there is hardly any traffic that time of day. Walking down the road proved to be a good tactic.

But you still need luck. I only had Orange-headed Ground Thrush doing that.

Actually there was quite a bit of traffic all day on the PSR - especially between 6 am to 8 am and after 4 pm when the repair and supply vehicles were going up and coming down respectively. There were also some that were speeding for thrills (randomly during the day). Personally I think being out FIRST on the higher trails like BU and upper Liwagu in the morning (but not necessarily at first light) is as good as any other strategy for EVTH. Late afternoon in the trails can be quite dark. My EVTH was just after noon and OHTH was just before dusk.

Thrushes

Actually there was quite a bit of traffic all day on the PSR - especially between 6 am to 8 am and after 4 pm when the repair and supply vehicles were going up and coming down respectively. There were also some that were speeding for thrills (randomly during the day). Personally I think being out FIRST on the higher trails like BU and upper Liwagu in the morning (but not necessarily at first light) is as good as any other strategy for EVTH. Late afternoon in the trails can be quite dark. My EVTH was just after noon and OHTH was just before dusk.

We actually tried Bukit Ular trail on second morning, we walked from start just after first light until trail is closed where you would go down hill to the Powerstation and then retraced our steps.
We did get Stubtail, Mountain Babbler and Crimson-headed Partridge on the BU trail and had Orange-headed Thrush on the roadside.
On first day we tried roadside and number of trails. There was certainly a lot of traffic taking supplies up for the trail repair which seemed to start about 8.00am.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back