• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

US hummingbird hot spots? I'll list mine. (1 Viewer)

SqlGuy

Here are locations that I have found very productive for hummingbird photography. I've also indicate the times I've been there and had good results. Other times are probably good, but spring migration is a very good time to see lots of species. Note that I'm listing places I've been that I find are reliable, with a steady supply of birds, which are open to the public. I invite you to list places you recommend too. I'm particularly eager to find a national forest campground with a reliable population of calliope hummingbirds.

Lake Fausse Pointe State Park‎, 5400 Levee Rd, St. Martinville, LA 70582-6425, (337) 229-6173
Ruby throats mobbing the feeders at the nature center. (early march? to Mid April, perhaps later.) Call or email the nature center to make sure they still have feeders. I haven't been there since Katrina, which closed the park for quite a while.

I've been to these Arizona locations mid march thru April. It gets pretty hot after that, but the birding is still good, in some ways better. National Forest campsites have water and pit toilets, unless otherwise stated.

Cave Creek Canyon, Coronado National Forest, near Portal Arizona near Rodeo NM.
Blue Throats, Magnificent, broadbill, black chin, broadtail, rufous, others possible. Mid march thru april and beyond. The elegant trogon nests here, and is very popular with birders. More than 4 campsites. Rustler Park, at the top of the mountain, is not accessible until later in the season, when the snow melts, perhaps around April. Rustler park campground has lots of bears, which have been known to break car windows to get at food. Clean campsites and bear precautions are essential.

Outside Tucson, the Desert Museum has a hummingbird aviary. You must to hand held photography there, no big setups. Check their website for the list of species. They may have some non-US species there. I don't remember. They have many exhibits, including a small "zoo" of desert animals. It's worth a trip. The nearby campground is

Miller Canyon, Beatty B&B. white earred hummingbird, many other species. Run by a guy who restricts many forms of photography. No fresnel flash extenders, no backgrounds, no fancy setups. Don't miss the tiny shaded birding location on the hill, with seating and numbered feeders. that's where I saw the white ear. Many other species also. Small daily fee for birding, also tiny tent campsites and rustic cabins.

Ash Canyon B&B: Lucifer Hummingbird, many other hummingbird species, many other bird species. Small daily fee. A much larger fee for a fancy flash photography setup. The B&B here looked very nice, and the birding was outstanding. This B&B is more tolerant of fancy flash setups.

Patagonia AZ, Patton House. violet crowned hummingbird many other species, and many other kinds of birds as well. This is a private residence which just became a B&B. Small donation, ask about current photography rules, fees. Check first, but the website seems broken, so I can't provide this info right now. You can check for details later, if I don't follow up:
http://www.birdingbb.com/search-by-...ingbird-haven-bb-patagonia-arizona/index.html

Patagonia Sonoita Creek Preserve, The Nature conservancy:
Hummingbird feeders at the building. A nature trail in rare riparian (streamside) ecosystem. You can see many species here, also, particularly the violet crowned hummingbird
http://www.nature.org/ourinitiative...eprotect/patagonia-sonoita-creek-preserve.xml

Patagonia State park:
You can see many species here, also, particularly the violet crowned hummingbird This park has hot showers, real toilets, and other facilities, including boating. The lake has wetland species, and if camping, make every attempt to camp lakeside on the loop that leads to the nature trail. The nature trail is a good place to see many species, including the elegant trogon. It has electric and water hookups.

Madera Canyon, outside Green Valley AZ:
Broadbill and Magnificent hummingbirds are most common here, with several other species. There are several B&Bs in the canyon. The elegant trogon nests in the canyon, and is frequently seen. Just look for large groups of people on the side of the road. That's where the bird will be.

Gilbert Ray Campground, Tucson, AZ 85735, (520) 877-6000 http://pima.gov/nrpr/camping/index.htm
Showers, water and power hookups, near the desert museum. This is a good place to photograph Annas and Costas and Black Chin, since it's more of a low desert location. It's near the desert musuem, which has a hummingbird aviary, and the west branch of Saguaro National Park, which is just fascinating.

Duck Creek Campground, Dixie National Forest, outside Cedar City Utah. May or June (after the snow melts!) Broadtailed hummingbirds in abundance. Also a good place to camp while visiting Cedar Breaks National Park. If you're not camping, ask at the ranger station across the highway from the campground, and they may let you photograph at their feeders. If you are really friendly, they might offer to let you visit the feeder at their residence. Lots of other birds, too, but no other hummingbirds that I saw.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back