• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss WW11 Binoculars (1 Viewer)

SUPPRESSOR

England
A nice pair of Carl Zeiss EUG 80 degree Anti Aircraft Binoculars (1940 to1949)
for sale at 1stdibs.

A snip at £27,459,68. Makes the SFs look a bargin.!!

suppressor.

This binocular and others on the site seem to be over-restored and vastly overpriced, even in today's money.

But there are people with more money than sense, for whom these are pocket money.

The antique trade is indeed a very strange place.

On the other hand I have met some very wealthy 'celebrities' who are so tight with their money that I personally told them to go elsewhere or words to that effect.

This binocular and others on the site seem to be over-restored and vastly overpriced, even in today's money.

But there are people with more money than sense, for whom these are pocket money.

The antique trade is indeed a very strange place.

On the other hand I have met some very wealthy 'celebrities' who are so tight with their money that I personally told them to go elsewhere or words to that effect.

Yes, to all of that!
suppressor

Unfortunately it is becoming increasingly common for dealers to purchase old binoculars, polish / plate them, stick them on a new (but old looking) tripod and sell them for ridiculous sums.

The Ross gun sight binocular on the same site is for sale for £14,000 !!!!!!!
you can buy these on ebay for £100- £150.

My opinion is that polishing these instruments totally ruins them. They are pieces of history and their original patina has so much to tell about where they have been and what they have seen.

Unfortunately it is becoming increasingly common for dealers to purchase old binoculars, polish / plate them, stick them on a new (but old looking) tripod and sell them for ridiculous sums.

My opinion is that polishing these instruments totally ruins them. They are pieces of history and their original patina has so much to tell about where they have been and what they have seen.

Yes, you are right of course.
I wonder if anybody will purchase them?
Suppressor.

Yes Gary, I agree.

I even dislike the brass Chinese refractors at fair prices new, but which look totally unauthentic to anyone who has used traditional brass telescopes.
The enlarged eyepiece housing just looks silly, as do the tripods.

Hello,

On another forum, I described such a binocular as "tarted up." The moderators censored the comment. I simply meant that it was over decorated like a pastry.;)

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Last edited:
Hello,

On another forum, I described such a binocular as "tarted up." The moderato4s censored the comment. I simply meant that it was over decorated like a pastry.;)

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

If it's the forum I'm thinking of, they have a tendency to censor anything they don't understand . . . which covers a great deal of territory.

Bill

Figures don't like. However, liars figure.

BC

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back