• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss warranty, seems very tolerant (1 Viewer)

tealboy1

Before buying the used pair of 8x42 HTs, I decided to call Zeiss to make sure there wasn't some reason they wouldn't be covered by warranty if there was an issue. Part of this was based on my familiarity with Swarovski as I recall them being sticklers about not covering European products sent to the U.S. for warranty work. I had a Swarovski and I bought it new in the us but if you didn't, good luck getting it covered.

Anyway, avery nice lady was on the phone at zeiss and she said that isn't their policy to decline based on sales outside of the U.S., she said we aren't swarovski. She asked for the serial number, which I didn't have at the time, but she said call me back and I will help you but bottom line is, we are very liberal with our warranty. She went on to say, even if your used binocs had a scratch on the lens, we would replace them for free bc they are in the 5 yr no fault period. I asked how she knew without the serial number and she said, they were introduced in 2012 so they can't be more than 5'years old.

Not sure how good others are, but I was very pleased with how customer friendly zeiss was, but suspect many of you already know that. The only bad part is, a lot of the work is sent to Germany depending on what's wrong and she said turnaround is 10-12 weeks. I don't expect to need the warranty but nice to know it is there.

Last edited:
My one experience with Zeiss' customer service was very positive. They made no trouble replacing my Conquest HDs, but it took about 6 weeks to receive the replacements because the original ones were sent to Germany to evaluate whether to repair or replace. I do wish they had a US repair facility to reduce the turnaround time.

Ive heard bad things about Zeiss cust support. Although I do own some Zeiss glass.
Hello Blue,

I believe that Zeiss,in the USA, may have been on a decade long, or even longer, campaign to beat that Austrian brand at customer support.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Last edited:
My experiences with Zeiss customer service has been exceptional. Every time I send in my Zeiss Classics / Dialyts they address the issues (loose bridges and focusing).

They were even able to find replacement lenses and armor for my 1970's Zeiss Safaris.

Last year, my Diascope's variable eyepiece became polluted and they replaced it without charge or questions.

Another time Zeiss replaced my Mom's 8x30 conquest when it had a diopter issue. Mom received a new pair of Terra 8x42's, she was elated.

At times their turn around time leaves something to be desired.

In my experience Zeiss customer support has been excellent. I recently lost the objective lens cap for a pair of Conquests I have. I sent an email about how to source a replacement and they immediately sent one through the post free of charge. Can't fault them.

Zeiss refused to clean out brown stains from my 8x30B monocular, even for a fee.

With it being 50 years old I would not say that is warranty related, more that they probably had no replacement parts available. I had a Jawa dirt bike once I got cheap because a mechanic broke a part trying to remove it, then found the part he broke, was not available in any shape form or fashion. So the bike went from running some what poorly, to not running at all. It took me about 5 years to find the part.

With it being 50 years old I would not say that is warranty related, more that they probably had no replacement parts available. I had a Jawa dirt bike once I got cheap because a mechanic broke a part trying to remove it, then found the part he broke, was not available in any shape form or fashion. So the bike went from running some what poorly, to not running at all. It took me about 5 years to find the part.

I am sure this is correct.

PT you appear to have spouted clan O'Donnell ancestry. Is this something you achieved recently or have you just been too modest to mention it before??

Lee

I am sure this is correct.

PT you appear to have spouted clan O'Donnell ancestry. Is this something you achieved recently or have you just been too modest to mention it before??

Lee

Clan Donald, Per Terras Per Mare, I sprouted it about 750 years ago. We left the area of Turnberry Castle sometime between 1745 and 1790 when my first stateside ancestor was born in North Carolina, been in Texas since 1850.

Last edited:
Clan Donald, Per Terras Per Mare, I sprouted it about 750 years ago. We left the area of Turnberry Castle sometime between 1745 and 1790 when my first stateside ancestor was born in North Carolina, been in Texas since 1850.

When we visit the Western Isles we rent a cottage from a MacDonald, and every third person we meet is a MacDonald: Lords of the Isles with lands on Skye, Glencoe and Ardnamurchan.

By sea and land, indeed.

Lee

When we visit the Western Isles we rent a cottage from a MacDonald, and every third person we meet is a MacDonald: Lords of the Isles with lands on Skye, Glencoe and Ardnamurchan.

By sea and land, indeed.

Lee

How cool, I'd love to visit there.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back