• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

John's Mammals 2012 (1 Viewer)

Had a quiet day Saturday but a full one Sunday. Again I found enough birds to occupy me in Hampshire but also saw a couple of Brown Hares, several Roe Deer, the usual Rabbits and Grey Squirrels. I got good pix of Goldcrest, Willow Tit, Knot, Hawfinch, a group of five Roe Deer, the Spanish Sparrow (and at the same site a Sparrowhawk intent on adding to its lunch list) and a confiding male Crossbill at the Junco site ( I got pix of the Junco but nothing better than I already had).

The weather was almost spring-like and the light was exquisite all day. More like this please!

I'll post pix tomorrow - I'm knackered!

John

It was on the pale side, but was also sat basking in the sunset glow which has exaggerated this in the photos I think. I've only seen a couple of foxes whilst here, and this seemed to be on the small side, but average colourwise.
Same latin name in UK and here, so I assume same animal!

A few nice mammals in the last few days.

More on my blog

Mark

Attachments

• cs3.jpg
    cs3.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 64
  • fox5.jpg
    fox5.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 52
  • bv20.jpg
    bv20.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 57
A few nice mammals in the last few days.

More on my blog

Mark

Like the shrew! Was it taking seed/fruit? I've seen them doing so at Greywell, they are more omnivorous than most people think. Is it a Common?

I'm guessing the fox was at Fowlmere. What about the Bank Vole?

John

Like the shrew! Was it taking seed/fruit? I've seen them doing so at Greywell, they are more omnivorous than most people think. Is it a Common?

I'm guessing the fox was at Fowlmere. What about the Bank Vole?

John

John,

The common shrew and bank vole (x4) were coming to peanuts, they were in the lea valley. The fox was on the mere at fowlmere hunting ducks.

I have had shrew come to eat all sorts of stuff not just insects, they are really omnivores.

Mark

Meeting in London today, House Mouse for the year, Waterloo Northern Line, Northbound platform North end as usual. Obviously no pix as photography is banned in the Underground.
Mark, have you still got your house guest(s)?

John

A few photos from this week, fox still about but a bit dark, so mostly muntajc.

Mark

Attachments

• mja9.jpg
    mja9.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 43
  • mja1.jpg
    mja1.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 47
  • mja2.jpg
    mja2.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 37
  • f1.jpg
    f1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 49
Acting on information received I left work at midday on Friday and headed North. About 100 Red Kites were cicling over Hedgerley tip and more around Stokenchurch, which was pretty impressive.

By nightfall I was in Southern Scotland and I spent the first half of the night spotlighting my way over Glenshee and down the Dee. I had loads of Mountain Hares, all in full whites, and several bunches of Red Deer in the bottom of the valleys. No predators though.

I spent the rest of the night in the car at the beach car park at Newburgh, very quiet and comfortable. The wind had dropped and the temperature was a lot higher than I expected in Scotland in February.

Saturday morning I drove into Peterhead and partook of the Iceland Gull flock plus a bunch of Grey Seals hauled out on the newly laid boulder breakwater and the darkest first-winter Glaucous Gull I've ever seen. Eider wandering about the harbour mouth in little groups were also new for the year list.

However, this wasn't really the point of the trip and I moved onwards to Loch of Strathbeg RSPB where I was immediately distracted by the numbers of Tree Sparrows around the feeders by the car park. Tree Sparrows bred near me - twenty years ago. Today I see them rarely on my travels, and it was nice to have some confiding ones to take pictures of. Still not the point of the trip though, and I moved into the visitor centre. Very comfortable and well-appointed with big windows of optically good glass. Out in the reedbed several Roe Deer were feeding.

John

Attachments

• 2012_02_25_Iceland_Gull2 (800x533).jpg
    2012_02_25_Iceland_Gull2 (800x533).jpg
    180 KB · Views: 56
  • 2012_02_25_Iceland_Gull3 (800x533).jpg
    2012_02_25_Iceland_Gull3 (800x533).jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 2012_02_25_Roe_Deer1 (750x500).jpg
    2012_02_25_Roe_Deer1 (750x500).jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 2012_02_25_Tree_Sparrow1 (800x533).jpg
    2012_02_25_Tree_Sparrow1 (800x533).jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
In the centre I introduced myself to Diana Spencer, who had kindly confirmed my e-mail query the previous day and updated the information I had been tipped elsewhere.

I settled down for a potentially long wait, camera ready for lightning deployment. Minutes turned into hours, relieved by a very showy Short-eared Owl and more distant Buzzards, Kestrels, Sparrowhawks and single Merlin and Hen Harrier. Keeping the corner of my eye on the alert close to, I scrutinised far-off waders and found a Ruff. Accustomed to wintering Ruff in Norfolk, I didn't think to mention it until Diana and a couple of the locals were discussing possible early migrants much later in the day: it turned out it was the reserve's first of the year. Whoops.

Early in the afternoon I suddenly let out a shout as the reason I was up there finally shot out from the corner of the visitor centre where it accessed the roof space: a Stoat in almost full ermine. A bit of red on the head and everything else white (rather like me!) It scorched about in front of us for the next half hour before disappearing up the left side of the building. I was confident it would come back and so were the locals. We were all wrong, it never reappeared though I stayed to dusk.

The Stoat, an adult female, lives in the attic of the visitor centre where it raised a brood last summer. Ignoring the normal risks of life as a small predator, it may well do the same this summer, but it will only be white for a short time from now I guess.

John

Attachments

• 2012_02_25_Stoat_Ermine1 (640x427).jpg
    2012_02_25_Stoat_Ermine1 (640x427).jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 2012_02_25_Stoat_Ermine2 (640x427).jpg
    2012_02_25_Stoat_Ermine2 (640x427).jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 2012_02_25_Stoat_Ermine3 (640x427).jpg
    2012_02_25_Stoat_Ermine3 (640x427).jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 2012_02_25_Stoat_Ermine4 (640x427).jpg
    2012_02_25_Stoat_Ermine4 (640x427).jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 82
The reserve staff were very welcoming and helpful, and good company which helps on a long stakeout!

The reserve was quiet - perhaps 20 or 30 visitors max all day, and some of those were clearly patchers. I had a really good time and there was always something to look at even though I was tied to the centre all day rather than roving around the reserve.

I recommend a visit to anyone.

I left at dusk and drove to Aviemore where I entered the Old Bridge Inn to partake not only of well kept real ale but also of a celebratory dinner.

The Old Bridge has been my regular haunt when passing through Speyside for many years and I unreservedly recommend its ales to all, and its menu to carnivores. The range of food choices for prey species is not wide. I began with smoked haunch of venison with a leaf salad and blueberries, and proceeded from that to the tastiest and most tender meat I have eaten in a long time: braised Mountain Hare finished off with a herb crust. The sticky toffee pudding that followed was perhaps less controversial but not less appetising.

It was only later that I realised I had combined Bambi and Thumper in a single meal.

I overnighted in the car again, this time outside the cafe next to the Glen More campsite. I put chunks of Snickers out but they were still there in the morning, when I awoke having slept for seven hours straight.

I roamed various possible Wildcat sites in the dawn, then hunted about the Carrbridge area for Crested Tits (no sign). I transferred to the Loch Mallachie track at Loch Garten and quickly found a couple of Crested Tits in a feeding tit flock. Finding them was one thing, photographing them was something else, but I did manage a couple of frames. The one with the eyes open didn't show the crest and the one with the crest had its eyes shut. Heigh ho.

The notice board at the reserve main car park reminded me, as it does before April every year, that its no good thinking "I'll just try the Garten feeders then" so I continued to Nethy Bridge, possibly the best Dipper site... in the world. I had three and got a few pix, then decided it was time to head back to Glenshee for a bash at big white bunnies in full white winter camo.

On the way, in addition to the survivors of the grouse blitz, twitchy with PTSD, I found three Whoopers lounging at their ease on the Dee between Balmoral and Braemar.

Unfortunately when I arrived at the head of the glen, the fine spring like weather that had permitted shirtsleeve order on a walk along the river hunting Dippers and trying not to be one, had utterly vanished, the cloud was down and drizzle falling from it persistently. The BWBs were settled in forms at a great distance lower on the slopes, but the cloud was too thick to see any close ones near the ski centre.

Endex so far as I was concerned: I had a bacon, egg and black pudding roll in the cafe (three of my five a day) and headed home, arriving at 2030 Sunday evening.

John

Attachments

• 2012_02_26_Crested_Tit1 (800x533).jpg
    2012_02_26_Crested_Tit1 (800x533).jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 2012_02_26_Dipper4 (800x533).jpg
    2012_02_26_Dipper4 (800x533).jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 2012_02_26_Whooper_Swan1v2 (533x800).jpg
    2012_02_26_Whooper_Swan1v2 (533x800).jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
After seeing a bumper selection of Grey Squirrels enjoying the spring sunshine on the way home from work, I decided it was time for my first nocturnal canal walk of the year.

With perfectly still air, a waxing moon and warmth even an hour or so after sundown, I knew I should pick up some trade, but I was not prepared for the crop of mammals I actually got. I parked up and set off along the verge towards the canal bridge, nightscope in one hand and red-filtered Maglite in the other: I had decided not to load myself down with camera gear but just to have a scout round.

Along the hedge near where I park the car a few Rabbits were feeding quietly but alertly. Out in the paddock beyond them my first Badger of the year was snuffling about in the long grass. I watched it for about five minutes but it was covering the ground very slowly and thoroughly, so I moved on after something a bit more lively.

With one Badger out in the field I suspected the sett might be quiet and in fact it was. This didn't matter, because on my side of the canal the leaf litter was not so much rustling as being crashed about in. With the nightscope's IR torch on, I soon discovered a mighty member of the mouse clan as it scrambled up from the ground into the interwoven branches of the hawthorn hedge. Undisturbed by my IR light it soon reached up to reveal what relatively small eyes and thick tail had suggested to me: the broad breast-band of a Yellow-necked Mouse. They are common hereabouts but I still get a kick out of seeing them.

After ten minutes watching and listening near the sett I moveed onwards to the next winding hole or flash in the canal. I approached as quietly as I know how, because this is one of the most reliable spots locally for Mink. I didn't see any rings or canal-side bow-waves on arrival, but I was treated to my first nocturnal flying display of the year from the Exocets of the bat world: a dozen or so Daubenton's Bats were racing about just above the water surface, sometimes singly, sometimes pairs in close formation.

After watching them for quite a while and standing quietly, I scanned the edges of the flash and the banks, and to my surprise and delight got some eyeshine almost opposite where I stood. A Mink was grooming its fur just below a hazel stool. I stayed still and quiet until it finished its toilette and slipped into the water to set off for a night's fishing. I don't know whether the signal crayfish that lurk in thousands at the bottom of the waterway are active at this time of year: our local Mink pretty much live on them in summer.

I decided to quit while ahead and walked back to the car, listening to the Little and Tawny Owls calling as I did so. A Red Fox was now working over the Badger's patch of grass, not bothered by either my red Maglite or the beams of car headlights that sliced across it as the vehicles negotiated the humpbacked canal bridge on its blind bend.

I returned home feeling very pleased with my hour in the field.

John

Cheers for the compliment.

Out again last night, saw the Mink again briefly. It was doing the typical thing of swimming along close to the bank. I've found a suitable place on its beat to try to stake it out on the next calm fine night. I also had a good view of a Badger at the sett and as well as the hordes of Daubs, my first Soprano Pipistrelle of the year gave me a couple of passes.

John

On Saturday I had another go at the Parkgate high tide, which duly blew me out again. I went to the back-up plan and zipped along the A55 to South Stack where Choughs, Ravens, Guillemots and Razorbills restored my equanamity. On the way home I nailed Feral Goat for the year, so altogether not a bad day.

On Sunday I had a lie-in before staking out the Paddyfield Warbler - pix after 4 hours - and on the way back to the car a male Kestrel gave stonking views on top of a telephone pole right by the lane in perfect late afternoon light. I even got the crap shot.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back