• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Ray ED3 10x43 (1 Viewer)

tazzilla

First of all I feel Like optics are like drugs once you try them you want more and then more but better. So I am always looking for something new and better. Now cost is always a issue as I am no where near well off so I have to spend wisely. I have been looking at the Zen Ray ED3 10x43 I can get them brand new for $420 total cost and feel its a great deal. I am on the fence on this one however I looked through the Cabelas Euro HD's few days ago at $999 and was blown away with them I looked through the ED3's yesterday less than 1/2 the cost but was happy with them just not blown away. Then there is the Alpen Rainer HD ED 10x42 at $720 my cost but have not had a chance to look through them. I currently have the Alpen Shasta Ridge and really like them but as I stated I am hooked on this whole optics deal. Man the best deal price wise is the ED3 but am I going to want to upgrade again or are that that good I will love them every time I use them. The Euro HD's were great and I mean great blew away the Vortex vipor HD's but they were still $200 more so they are in no ways cheap for my wallet.

I hear the addiction to optics part. My only advice is if you buy something that is not an absolute alpha then quit looking at least for a long while. I'm very happy with my Zen Ray's and own two pair. I'm not going to be looking through anything better on purpose for as long as I can stand it.

I'm very happy with them and would hope the marriage would have at least a couple of good years or more before the expensive divorce.

I wouldn't give it more than a couple of months. He Heeee

I hear the addiction to optics part. My only advice is if you buy something that is not an absolute alpha then quit looking at least for a long while. I'm very happy with my Zen Ray's and own two pair. I'm not going to be looking through anything better on purpose for as long as I can stand it.

I'm very happy with them and would hope the marriage would have at least a couple of good years or more before the expensive divorce.

Its a crazy Addiction. I went to the local sports store and looked at about 10 diffen't bio's all 10x42 from Alpen, Vortex, vangaurd, Bushnell, And the $2500 Swaro's OMG they are nice pefect edge to edge. The others were all very close in optic quality all from 300-600 range other than some Leica's for $800 they were the best of the bunch. I looked at pentex they were so so same with the bushnell for the money the Vanguard Spirit ED was really a great value so I picked up a pair. I am not so worried about low light situations so these seemed very bright and clear for my needs. They are not clear edge to edge but were on par with all the others but the leica and swaro's. I am going back to where the Zen rays are being sold so I can compare to two. I was shocked that I liked the Vanguard but they seem like a nice deal and I have money left over to put in my 68 mustang :)

Last edited:
yeah the best thing is to never look at any other optics just stop cold turkey. I hate the internet makes shopping way to easy.

Man the best deal price wise is the ED3 but am I going to want to upgrade again or are that that good I will love them every time I use them.

How can we possibly decide that for you? That is the most personal of decisions, everyone in every hobby (be it cars, cameras, binoculars, speakers, etc) needs to decide how much they are willing to spend to chase incremental performance gains.

You know yourself best. Unlike many folks here who are buying online based on the reviews of others, you have had the fortune of actually LOOKING through the binoculars you are considering with YOUR eyes, and you know the contents of YOUR wallet ;)

So be honest with yourself. If you will buy the Zen-Rays to save money and then sit there thinking "what if?" every time you use them, and silently resent them for not being the Euro HD's that you loved so much, AND you can afford the extra money, then get what you love. Life is short and if you can afford it, get what makes you happy. If you use them for the next 10 years than the incremental cost is really insignificant if you think about it.

But, on the other hand, if you are the "pragmatic" type who is comfortable with not having the very best, and would rather spend their money elsewhere and is satisfied with the "90% of the performance for 50% of the price" tradeoff, then buy something cheaper and enjoy. I use the 8x43 ED3's and I love them and I am very happy, I have also looked through Swaros and Leicas and Zeiss and I know they are better, but I also know I cannot possibly spend that kind of money for a pair of bins so I don't sweat the incremental differnence in optical performance. Rather than think about what I don't have, I enjoy what I do have.

But the bottom line is binocular buying is a very personal thing. If the Cabela HD's fit you like a glove and brought you joy, and you can comfortable afford them, I think you know what you need to do.

How can we possibly decide that for you?

So be honest with yourself. If you will buy the Zen-Rays to save money and then sit there thinking "what if?" every time you use them, and silently resent them for not being the Euro HD's that you loved so much, AND you can afford the extra money, then get what you love. Life is short and if you can afford it, get what makes you happy. If you use them for the next 10 years than the incremental cost is really insignificant if you think about it.

But the bottom line is binocular buying is a very personal thing. If the Cabela HD's fit you like a glove and brought you joy, and you can comfortable afford them, I think you know what you need to do.

You are 100% correct. Money does matter but so does quality so its a very fine line as how much to spend and what quality level will work with out regreats. I have the vanguard Spirit ED and played with them off and on yesterday and so far i am happy with them. I still want to look at the Zen ray Ed3 I also liked them. Thanks Taz

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back