• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuba D.I.Y. January /Febuary 2016 (1 Viewer)

An extra page added to the blog to give an idea of what to expect for prospective travellers, particularly independent ones.
Don't hesitate to ask if you want any extra info.
cheers
Dave

Another great report. I always read them - partially to admire the pictures - mmm and also for the tips you provide. They're an entertaining read as well, not just a bird list!

Another great report. I always read them - partially to admire the pictures - mmm and also for the tips you provide. They're an entertaining read as well, not just a bird list!

Thanks Stuart glad you enjoy reading them. They are designed to try and share information and experiences beyond just listing everything seen which after all, may well not be there next time.
The one thing I might not have mentioned is that I also think the weather and time of year are critical too but even that may vary year on year. Whereas I expected to see a lot of over wintering species, a lot of the winter visitors are transient so bang in the middle is not the best time to visit. Perhaps October/November ( but that's the hurricane season) or March might be best.

Just reading Larry Sweetlands Jamaica trip report one thing i should have mentioned was maps!
Our car hire company's map was useless but fortunately we had already downloaded an excellent and free map from Cubamappa.com which we had access to off line on our iPad.
Very detailed and together with some Google street maps already printed off we had everything we needed for the trip around Cuba.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back