• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mountain birds (1 Viewer)

Hamhed

Last weekend, I took a group of Birding pals up the Blue Ridge Parkway to Craggy Gardens. We found a good many warbler species on the way but the Craggy area at about 4500 ft was cold, lightly raining, windy and very foggy. Our search for any early Canada Warblers was unrewarded. Only a few Juncos and a single Black-throated Blue Warbler.
Lower down, a few but not all Ceruleans Warblers had arrived and were staking out their territories. One was recorded singing a Hooded Warbler song. After that experience, I'll doubt just about any bird I hear but don't actually see! Scarlet tanagers, Wood Thrushes, Blackburnian and Worm-eating Warblers were out in good numbers but Chestnut-sided had not arrived as yet. Late April is just a bit early to find the whole gamut of mountain species.
This coming Monday, I'll take another Birding Pal contact out and we'll see how breeding season has progressed. Certainly the weather forecast is much better.

For the first time in over a year, my own yard list increased to 133 yesterday when I found a male Yellow Warbler in the willows down by our small stream. That's warbler species number 31 in 9 1/2 years of keeping records.

A number of breeding bird surveys start up next week and we're often short-handed for anyone who is considering a mountain visit.

Steve

Attachments

• Yellow Warbler.jpg
    Yellow Warbler.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 112
Just now seen this. Great report. Wish we had more activity in here. :-C

I was at Mitchell a couple weeks ago and passed Craggy up (had my nephew and had to eat at Zaxbys in Oteen and get back down the mountain to meet his dad so time was an issue.)

A beautiful, warm Monday in western NC has come and gone. Birding on the Blue Ridge Parkway was very good to the pair of Birding Pals from Florida who joined me today on a 24 mile run from Bull Gap to Mount Mitchell State Park. We saw 44 species, including 12 of warbler and 3 vireo. The Black-throated Blue was heard not seen. We missed the only other regular warbler, the Northern Parula but found a Cape May Warbler to fill that gap. The eBird list is here:
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S23232238
No leaves on the trees yet at the higher elevations. That didn't seem to stop the Canada Warblers from moving onto territory in the Craggy Gardens area.
Afternoon clouds kept the birding going well into the afternoon. Many were still active and singing when we quit in mid afternoon.
A good day to take pictures, my attention was divided between listening, looking, pointing and shooting.
This weekend, there is the first of three breeding bird surveys and I'll be back in the exact same area once again. Winter is fast becoming a fading memory.

David - you have another month to make a return trip while the birds are singing. The trees are leafing out quickly and those birds will only get tougher to see, so make it soon!

Steve

Attachments

• American Redstart.jpg
    American Redstart.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Blackburnian Warbler.jpg
    Blackburnian Warbler.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Worm-eating Warbler.jpg
    Worm-eating Warbler.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Scalet Tanager.jpg
    Scalet Tanager.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 90
  • Brown Creeper.jpg
    Brown Creeper.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 88
I need to! As a fairly new birder (and even newer "lister") all of those except the creeper would be life birds for me! The Tanager is on my 2015 target list...can't believe I've never seen/IDed one in the field.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back