• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canary Islands logistics (1 Viewer)

marek_walford

Hi

I'm planning a trip for May 2018. The plan is to do Tenerife and Feutureventura and clean up the endemics.

We hoped to ferry between islands but there doesn't seem to be many options for taking a car and leaving it on a different island (plan is to fly into Tenerife and fly out of Feutureventura). Unless anybody knows different?

If not, we will fly between them and get a different hire car on each.

The Blue Chaffinch on Gran Canaria is also tempting. Does anybody have any thoughts on if this is doable during a 7 day trip also taking in Tenerife and Feutureventura?

Finally, any advice on seabirds in May. Many people seem to do the ferry trip to La Gomera from Tenerife. Are any of the other inter island ferries worth doing or is it just easier to fly?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers
Marek

You can see all endemics in one day on Tenerife if you plan well (I must have written the route on some other thread on Tenerife, can search for it).
Fuerteventura (check your spelling) is a day trip by plane if you don't want to search for the owl.
This leaves five days for the GC Blue Chaffinch!

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if doing 3 islands means a lot of time in airports, on planes and picking up hire cars?

Not if you are including La Gomera in the three, you could take a hire car from Tenerife.

I haven't done the Canaries since the Blue Chaffinches were split but even now I wouldn't include Gran Canaria if I was island hopping. The easiest options for that are day tripping Gran Canaria from Tenerife and day tripping Lanzarote from Fuerteventura.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if doing 3 islands means a lot of time in airports, on planes and picking up hire cars?
The (first) flight to Fuerteventura started check in less than an hour before take off. I naturally had arrived early and had to wait till they opened the doors!
Getting a hire car at the airport in Fuerteventura was a doddle (after I found out that the company I had reserved one with was NOT at the airport – silly mistake).

Tenerife has some very nice corners and definitely deserves more than five hours! In summer, the north coast is good for Barolo Shearwater, but I don't know if this is true for May.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back