• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX50 Specs (1 Viewer)

Some great photos here and that SEO video is superb.
Always taken an interest in superzoom development and seems like Canon have got this one spot on so far.
Now to resist temptation.....

That's good info Roy,thanks for sharing.
The only thing is that if you get a problem within the warranty period you have to go through Digital Rev (they have set procedures in place) and not just send it to, say, Canon UK. Full info on their web site.

The only thing is that if you get a problem within the warranty period you have to go through Digital Rev (they have set procedures in place) and not just send it to, say, Canon UK. Full info on their web site.

Thanks Roy will check it out now :t:

Great images and video Ian. How far away was the SEO?

The excellent video does not surprise me, I have repeatedly stated on other threads about the quality of the video and the AF. IMO better than the bulk of consumer camcorders.

Great shots again Ian,agreed the Brambling pic is a cracker.
Was the brambling a lot nearer?
Have you attempted any more flight shots yet?
I see the SX50 is £399 in Jessops at the moment with cash back.
Hope they are still in stock by the time I get back to the UK

The Brambling on the ground were only maybe 3m away, certainly not more than 4m.

I've not taken any 'decent' flight photos yet, but then I've not really tried that hard. I should have done so today with some Marsh Harriers, maybe tomorrow I'll get chance again. My thoughts are that they are achievable but it's so hit and miss compared to the 7D that I just use that instead for flight shots.

Great images and video Ian. How far away was the SEO?

The excellent video does not surprise me, I have repeatedly stated on other threads about the quality of the video and the AF. IMO better than the bulk of consumer camcorders.

The SEO's were around 40-50m away both in the stills and the video.

A couple of photos from today.

The Bearded Tits were by the grit trays at RSPB Leighton Moss. Maybe 15m distant.

The Marsh Harrier, whilst not a brilliant photo was taken from Grisedale Hide. A good 150-200m away. Way too far for the 7D+400mm lens. Taken with the 1.5x converter setting.

The Shoveler was 20-25m away.

Attachments

• 526a.jpg
    526a.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 644
  • 559a.jpg
    559a.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 473
  • 614a.jpg
    614a.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 638
  • 707aa.jpg
    707aa.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 880
  • 487a.jpg
    487a.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 669
Having just got one of these cameras as my latest attempt to find a lightweight alternative to the DSLR, I snapped a couple of collared doves in the garden this afternoon.

It was overcast here at the time, so this was really a test of high ISO performance, which, let's face it, is where this sort of camera usually falls down. Both of these were shot in RAW at ISO 1250, minus one third EV, and had a couple of passes through Neat Image. The vertical crop was shot at full zoom, the other one at about half way.

Admittedly, collared doves are fairly large, pale-plumaged birds, but I still think this is pretty good for a compact-sensored camera at ISO 1250.

Another thing I noticed was how much quicker the camera saves RAW files compared to my Panasonic GH2, which was nearly twice the price.

I've had a couple of Panasonic "superzooms" in the past (FZ18 and FZ38) and the SX50 is streets ahead, and not just in the zoom stakes. Mind you, I wish it had the constant 2.8 aperture of the FZ200. The slowness at the tele end is a pain.

Malcolm

Attachments

• collared-dove0001.jpg
    collared-dove0001.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 548
  • collared-dove0002.jpg
    collared-dove0002.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 632
I just ordered one from Ebay - an unwanted gift apparently - and eagerly waiting for it to arrive to replace my SX 30.

What I've seen on Youtube and the pics here are enough to convince me that it will be a worthwhile change - in fact I'm blown away with what I've seen.

David

I continue to be impressed by this little camera. Tried it out on the local sanderlings today as well as on a bee-eater which has been drawing admirers for the past few days.

Very good light today, which helped.

Malcolm

Attachments

• Sanderling-0002.jpg
    Sanderling-0002.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 761
  • Bee-eater1.jpg
    Bee-eater1.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 903
A couple of photos taken yesterday at RSPB Leighton Moss on what was a very dull day.

1. Peregrine - c.150m if not more
2. Kingfisher - 30m
3. Kingfisher - 50m
4. Teal - 10m
5. Snipe - 10m

Attachments

• 043a.jpg
    043a.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 935
  • 468a.jpg
    468a.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 873
  • 505a.jpg
    505a.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 841
  • 305a.jpg
    305a.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 773
  • 319a.jpg
    319a.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 691
A couple of photos taken yesterday at RSPB Leighton Moss on what was a very dull day.

1. Peregrine - c.150m if not more
2. Kingfisher - 30m
3. Kingfisher - 50m
4. Teal - 10m
5. Snipe - 10m
Excellent shots again Ian,great detail on the Teal

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back