• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (8 Viewers)

Houghton area Local Patch

Combined tally of 70 odd species noted on 1st September.

An extra one added this morning.... Common Buzzard at 7am mobbed by Rooks just over our rooftops heading NE

SE.

Combined tally of 70 odd species noted on 1st September.

An extra one added this morning.... Common Buzzard at 7am mobbed by Rooks just over our rooftops heading NE

SE.

It might be same Common Buzzard one of the lads down at Rainton had yesterday (2nd). About 12:00. He keeps bird's of prey so he will be right, It fits the description. Just thought I'd let you know.
ps. By the way this is Andrew Kinghorn.:t:

Last edited:
Wryneck update. 9.36am
I hang on every word CW tells me as in my opinion there are not that many people better than him.
I've just talked to him and his advice to me is not to bother going over to the station to try for photos. He is about to leave.
He has spotted the bird a couple of times away from the station but says it is very flighty and difficult to get on.

Houghton area Local Patch

Hetton Bogs
No further sign of Wryneck (09:15-10:45)
2 Water Rail heard, 2 Kingfisher, 2 Grey Wagtail, 1 alba Wagtail over, Heron
4 Shoveller over W, 2 Coot, 5 Mallard, 4 Moorhen, 1 Kestrel, 1 Sparrowhawk
3 Goldcrest, 6+Willow Tit, 12+LTTit, 4 Coal Tit, 9 Great Tit, 1 Treecreeper, 1 GSW, approx 30 Bullfinch, smaller nos of Gold, Green & Chaffinch, 2juv Reed Bunting, vis mig of Meadow Pipits going over
2Willow Warbler, 2Blackcap, 9+Chiffchaff, 40 House Martin, 2 Jay, 1 Stock Dove, 6 Magpie.
(hey John, it looks much drier on your website guide !)

Coal Field Way / Joes Pond
2 Swifts, prGrey Partridge, 3 Willow Tit

Rainton Meadows area
2 Swifts (poss same 2), 4 Sand Martin (1 being a very young juv), <20 each Swallow & House Martin.
6 Sedge Warbler (netted), 2 Common Whitethroat, 1 Blackcap, 3Chiffchaff.
Small influx of wildfowl with singles of Wigeon, Shoveller & Pochard fresh in.
Got a surprise seeing a drake Ruddy Duck in winter plumage, 2 Cormorant, 280+mixed geese inc 1 Barnacle. Dabchick with family, 10+Teal, 20 Mallard,
Mute Swan 2pr, 1 with cygnets.
80+ Lapwing loafing, 1 Green Sandpiper & 3 Snipe on shoreline, 3Curlew, 1 Redshank, Frustratingly Whimbrels heard clearly going over, but couldnt pick them up in the breeze...
Several each of Sparrowhawk & Kestrel, with a Peregrine over the escarpment(though this could easily one of the falconers 3 birds...). Further scanning revealed single pairs of Stock & Collared Doves.
One or two each of Yellowhammer, Skylark & Linnet flicked up off paths, with both House Sparrow & Greenfinch today, both good reserve ticks, but strangely no sign of any Song or Mistle Thrushes...

shame, but.....

cause of death??..roadkill

Hello Will
its been dead a while, not clear whether an adult or a youngster - but at least it wasnt adjacent a road...
( i read my m8 SteveEgg had a RTA one a few week back nr "The Mill pub"...? )
Always a shame, but if you're getting RTA BO's at this time of year, then at least you know they're breeding successfully close by.....

Hoping to do the "quarry-double" soon... how many geordies are you gonna be bringing through ?;)

Robert D.

Hetton Bogs
No further sign of Wryneck (09:15-10:45)
2 Water Rail heard, 2 Kingfisher, 2 Grey Wagtail, 1 alba Wagtail over, Heron
4 Shoveller over W, 2 Coot, 5 Mallard, 4 Moorhen, 1 Kestrel, 1 Sparrowhawk
3 Goldcrest, 6+Willow Tit, 12+LTTit, 4 Coal Tit, 9 Great Tit, 1 Treecreeper, 1 GSW, approx 30 Bullfinch, smaller nos of Gold, Green & Chaffinch, 2juv Reed Bunting, vis mig of Meadow Pipits going over
2Willow Warbler, 2Blackcap, 9+Chiffchaff, 40 House Martin, 2 Jay, 1 Stock Dove, 6 Magpie.
(hey John, it looks much drier on your website guide !)

Coal Field Way / Joes Pond
2 Swifts, prGrey Partridge, 3 Willow Tit

Rainton Meadows area
2 Swifts (poss same 2), 4 Sand Martin (1 being a very young juv), <20 each Swallow & House Martin.
6 Sedge Warbler (netted), 2 Common Whitethroat, 1 Blackcap, 3Chiffchaff.
Small influx of wildfowl with singles of Wigeon, Shoveller & Pochard fresh in.
Got a surprise seeing a drake Ruddy Duck in winter plumage, 2 Cormorant, 280+mixed geese inc 1 Barnacle. Dabchick with family, 10+Teal, 20 Mallard,
Mute Swan 2pr, 1 with cygnets.
80+ Lapwing loafing, 1 Green Sandpiper & 3 Snipe on shoreline, 3Curlew, 1 Redshank, Frustratingly Whimbrels heard clearly going over, but couldnt pick them up in the breeze...
Several each of Sparrowhawk & Kestrel, with a Peregrine over the escarpment(though this could easily one of the falconers 3 birds...). Further scanning revealed single pairs of Stock & Collared Doves.
One or two each of Yellowhammer, Skylark & Linnet flicked up off paths, with both House Sparrow & Greenfinch today, both good reserve ticks, but strangely no sign of any Song or Mistle Thrushes...

So not much going on then Steve? ;)
One of the most thorough reports I've ever seen from a local patch :t:
Rainton area the number one for diversity though bit surprised about House Sparrow & Greenfinch?

longacre wood

we had a walk in longacre wood today
g/s woody
treecreeper
w/warblers
bullys
but best was at the south end 5 sparrowhawks doing a bit of showing off..great stuff but a magpie was having none of it and kept chasing them off "his"tree
bill said he,s never seen a dragonfly all day!!!:-O

Attachments

• dragon.jpg
    dragon.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 3rd sept08 043.jpg
    3rd sept08 043.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 89
So not much going on then Steve? ;)
One of the most thorough reports I've ever seen from a local patch :t:
Rainton area the number one for diversity though bit surprised about House Sparrow & Greenfinch?

got a few feeders & boxes up, in the hope of attracting Tree spugs.... its brought the Hosp's in, prior to this year id only seen one, so were hopeful of getn Tree's too.......

greeny's are an odd one.... go couple of 100 metres along the road to the sub-urban gardens at chilton moor & theyre common place.... - maybe DWT shud plant a few X Cuppressocyparis leylandii ;)

ive got 82sp for Sept Neil, ;)

While I'm floundering on 67, though I was at work today ;)
Had another Whinchat up at Burdon Moor yesterday, that's 3 in 4 weeks, could'nt find one to save my life up in Weardale :-O

lol, i only go to work when the weathers too wet / bad for birding;)

.. guess we'll hav to keep tabs on effort ie hours spent.......?
spoke to colin & mick, they're keen to keep a september tally, though they dont hav access to intnet.

ps. mine are (as yet) all local & non-motorised:smoke:

catch you again,Neil - keep up the good worko:D

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back