• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any Simple Ideas For a Feeder or 2 in my Yard?? (1 Viewer)

MUHerd

Hey all.

We've got some birds in the yard and a bunch of squirrels. I'd like to put some feeders out to get more birds into the yard. I'm new and want to watch as many birds as I can get here in my yard.
I've never put out a feeder and would like some ideas and suggestions on the best ways to go about it. I'd like to put out suet blocks in those cages too. I also saw a block of seeds meant for a woodpecker. I want to put one of those out too.

Can you all help? Ideas and pics would be awesome.

Thank you all.
Larry

Suet is the best tempter for Woodies and most other birds. Especially during the spring breeding time.

I'd like to get some of these feeders going to attract some birds to my yard so I can watch them and maybe get a look at something unusual or really neat.

Thanks all.
Larry

I am also new to birding and bird feeders. I put out one bird feeder in the fall. I positioned it close to my dinette window. It took about one week for the birds to discover it but once they did, the feeder became quite popular. I bought a couple of field books and borrowed some binoculars. It's been great fun. So far I have identified 20 different species. I use bagged bird seed, but I mix different types and brands of seed. I have not tried suet. Be prepared to Go through a lot of seed. If the birds like the feeder and seed they will eat. The squirrels are pesky, but I find if I feed them some peanuts I can get them to cooperate a bit. I will give JC Foggins' FB suggestion a try.

Have fun and keep me posted.
MissOwl

At my other house we had a wood fence all around the back yard, just like we do at this house we're in now. I decided I wanted to try and feed the squirrels as I didn't care about birds then. This was about 4 years ago. I went and got s bag of peanuts in the shell, unsalted. I went around the top boards all around the yard and placed little piles of those peanuts. After I got the entire top row of the fence covered I would go inside and wait to see what happened. I swear it didn't take 15 minutes until the birds noticed the peanuts and they would swoop in and clean out every peanut I had put out. The squirrels didn't get so much as a crumb. Those birds were fast and slick about it too. I tried a few more times to put out peanuts for the squirrels and I simply couldn't beat the birds. They got 'em all!!

Now I am wanting to go the other way. The problem is that my yard is full of squirrels. I'm gonna have to be good if I'm to keep the squirrels out of the bird feed I put out. I'm going to look into what types of stands I need to erect to feed the birds and where the best places to put suet out is.

This should be fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back