• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Outback 2005 / 3 (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
It’s been a very busy start to the year for one reason or another, so it has taken until now for me to get outback for just the third time, a full four weeks after the previous trip out. In the meanwhile, I’ve kept an eye on things where I could, and my wonderful other half has kept things ticking over for the last couple of weeks.

As a consequence, in strictest terms, some of the ids that follow have precedence, but (as I have in the past) I have treated them in relation to previous “official” trips out. As such, I am pleased to report that the major action, as it were, has continued long enough to be included today – and then some!

The first pre-report update is the return of the (or at least some) swans to the pond. Right back in my very first report of 2003, I recorded Mute Swans. In fact they had been around for a while as I recall, but my first report coincided with their last stay. And for some reason they failed to return last year. Truth be told, I don’t think it is an ideal location for any prospective Cygnus parents, but it was a disappointment not to see them last year, and therefore, it’s doubly enjoyable that they have returned for 2005.

The second pre-report update also concerns the pond. During the winter, we sometimes get extra visitors from time to time, but duck-wise we have never noticed anything more exotic that a few Tufties (more of which below) bulking up the Mallard numbers. Partnyorsha took a walk out on Friday, however, and was convinced (but just not convinced enough) that she had seen a Gadwall. Well, I wouldn’t be mentioning it now if she hadn’t been proven right, would I?

Anyhew… on to the report proper, and we set off into the biting cold and fairly howling lazy wind, at 11am while the cloud cover was extensive, but at least it didn’t look like rain.

A few birds on the estate, including the Goldfinches recently on exodus from out garden, and the odd Starling and Black-headed Gull. A Pied Wagtail made itself known just before we made it onto the open ground. Perhaps the wind was keeping all the birds hidden away, but apart from one straining Skylark, and the occasional brave Blue Tit, we didn’t really pick anything up until we reached the pond.

The Black-headed Gulls were obvious, just playing on the wind as is often their wont, then as we arrived at the water’s edge, we did a quick tot up of the numbers, a dozen Mallards, the odd Coot and a couple of Moorhens, along with the aforementioned Mute Swans. A recent Little Grebe also called, although we didn’t actually see it. (There might be two, but only one called.)

As we walked around the pond, we came across a few more individuals, but whereas Mallards are pretty tame creatures, generally looking for handouts, the rear-side population were a little more timid. Anyway, we eventually managed to see fully 9 (count ‘em, 9!) Tufties – four males and 5 “redheads” – along with 3 Gadwall. A new addition to the patch life-list – Superb!

The walk to the eastern edge of the outback was windswept and largely uninteresting, but as we approached the turn south, a Hare ran across the path in front of us! Obviously looking for someone to pick a fight with!

Moving into the trees, and some welcome shelter, we loitered to see if there was any activity. It took a little while, but I eventually spied a couple of Long-tailed Tits, before being sidetracked by some calling Nuthatches. I managed to track two down (eventually) and got brilliant views – although with a bit of twoupwomanship, my beloved saw them before I did, when they were in view with another two!

Then the LTTs flew across the gap, and partnyorsha counted them across. Ten in total, though it was obvious they were not alone. A couple of Blue Tits, and what seemed to be a Coal Tit… until it landed showing excellently… A Lesser-spotted Woodpecker!!! Fantastic!

Now it was time to brave the wind and head back home. We took a detour through another wooded area, which was mostly quiet, although we did come across a small group of Tit foraging on the ground and flying into the branches above. Due to this, I think we probably underestimated the numbers, but we certainly saw at least 4 Great Tits, 3 Blue Tits and 2 Coal Tits. Partnyorsha also saw a Chaffinch.

The blustery walk back home was temporarily eased by great views of a perched (= hanging on!) Kestrel, and the sight of some of the Magpies we had seen in a single group. Finally, a last look over the pond, and the Moorhen tally increased to 9, probably including any seen previously. It was good to get out… and turned out to be great!

And now… the numbers.

Plain text = Outback day tick
Bold text = Outback year tick
Bold text italic = Outback life tick
(Number in brackets is highest number of individuals identified at one time)

Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) : 1 (1)
Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) : 2 (2)
Gadwall (Anas strepera) : 3 (3)
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) : 15 (12)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula) : 9 (9)
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos minor) : 1 (1)
Woodpigeon (Columba palumbus) : 3 (3)
Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) : 9 (9)
Coot (Fulica atra) : 7 (3)
Black-Headed Gull (Larus ridibundus) : 30 (30)
Kestrel (Falco tinnunculus) : 1 (1)
Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis) : 1 (1)
Magpie (Pica pica) : 11 (6)
Carrion Crow (Corvus corone) : 6 (4)
Blackbird (Turdus merula) : 4 (1)
Mistle Thrush (Turdus viscivorus) : 5 (4)
Robin (Erithacus rubecula) : 3 (1)
Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) : 14 (14)
Nuthatch (Sitta europaea) : 5 (4)
Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes) : 1 (1)
Coal Tit (Parus ater) : 2 (2)
Great Tit (Parus major) : 5 (4)
Blue Tit (Parus caeruleus) : 12 (3)
Long-Tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus) : 10 (10)
Skylark (Alauda arvensis) : 2 (1)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba) : 1 (1)
Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs) : 2 (1)
Goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis) : 4 (4)

Last edited:
I really enjoy reading your patch Threads birdman, and Gadwall + Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, great birds, how big is the pond on your patch?

Thanks Jake,

The pond is about 250 metres top to bottom and about 80 left to right give or take...?

There's an island on it, as you will see on the attachment.

:t:

Attachments

• pond.gif
    pond.gif
    204.5 KB · Views: 129
I'd love Gadwall on my WeBS patch list. You have inspired me to post my report of my latest WeBS survey with two lifers including one that has been twitched a bit.

I remember I was watching your reports for Stock Dove, did you manage to bag that one or is it still out there for the taking?

Do you know, Andrew, because of the recent crash, I decided to take downloads of all my surviving reports, and my eyes fell on your "Stock Dove watch".

Up to now... still no sign...!

As ever birdman a great read, nice to see your mistle thrush sighting, they do seem to get less seen these days.

birdman said:
Do you know, Andrew, because of the recent crash, I decided to take downloads of all my surviving reports, and my eyes fell on your "Stock Dove watch".

Up to now... still no sign...!
2005 is the year, mark my words!!!

I hope you're right Andrew!

Paul, I'm pretty sure we have a resident population of Mistle Thrushes, although I don't see them that often, because they occur all year round. We've got Song Thrushes as well... also nice!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back