• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hybrid gulls? (YLG and LBBG) (1 Viewer)

Here are two adult gulls I photographed today at IJmuiden, Netherlands. One shows a bird we identified in the field as a Yellow-legged Gull and the other as a pale graellsii Lesser Black-back. Seeing them back on the screen I doubt if they aren't hybrids. The YLG seems to show an awful lot of head steaking for a michahellis in November and it has an orangey not red orbital ring. The LBBG looks it a bit too pale if you compare it to the Herring Gull and LBBG in the back.

I must add that there's quite some hybridisation going on in The Netherlands. Most of the Dutch breeders are LBBG x YLG or HG x YLG. This also is (or has been at least) the case in IJmuiden.

Attachments

• DSCN0649.jpg
    DSCN0649.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 129
  • DSCN0670.jpg
    DSCN0670.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Hi Ruud,
nice images, as usuall!
Interesting gulls these, and I would agree that the supposed michahellis has a well streaked head, especially in the hindneck and hindcrown, approaching the "Atlantic populations, or if you like, graellsii/intermedius, but maybe less likeley
(argentatus/argenteus (?), coarse streaking, bluish tinge, your bird seems to lack bluish tinge (?)
The first, could fit a michahellis structure wise, although not a good side view, but the other one is more in line with graellsii/intermedius I think.
Primary moult seem to have reached p8 in both, although variable (!) a bit late for michahellis, graellsii, and argenteus in november, wouldn´t you say? Would have been nice to see spread wings. In Dutch Birding 26:2004, I tried to reed the article by Fred Cottaar, not easy in Dutch, and as you mention, there´s some hybridisation going on,
surely a potential ID trouble. As for the orangey orbital ring, which can be seen in a bird (plate 92) in the article mentioned, is taken in May and not in November, and I presume there is some variation in michahellis, as there would be in argenteus/argentatus and greaellsii/intermedius regarding orbital ring colour.
Pitty these weren´t colour ringed, as I belive many of the hybrids in Holland are.
JanJ

Kind of late yesterday, forgot to mention this, http://www.surfbirds.com/ID Articles/adriaensgulls1203.html, which I´m sure you have seen!
That is as far I have been dealing with this issue, but ther are some interesting point in there!
JanJ

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back