• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Rome, Italy (1 Viewer)

Papuan birder

- Lost in the Pacific -
Hello,

In late November I will spend a few days in the Italian capital; have visited Rome before so most of the old buildigns etc already seen many times.

This time I had planned to try to do some birdwatching, I wont have a car so aim not able to travel far outside of the city.

A few years ago I birded in a large park (have forgot the name) just otuside Rome zoo and found it to be a ok place, is this site worth visitng again or has someone any advice on any good sites in Rome for birdwatching

Papuan birder said:
Come on, to me its very unlikely that not a single person on this forum has ever birded in Rome

Sorry, I have been out for a while. The park you are talking about is Villa Borghese. I don't find it that good unless you need to tick off the most common of park birds. But where to go instead is difficult, every where I would send you needs a car. If you really don't want to leave the city try Villa ada, it is not as open as Borghese, or as busy.

The area to the north of the airport is good, but the bird areas are well spaced and no public transport.

The good news is we have a number of migrants going though at the moment, so where ever you are you may get lucky
;)

Mark

stronzo1 said:
Sorry, I have been out for a while. The park you are talking about is Villa Borghese. I don't find it that good unless you need to tick off the most common of park birds. But where to go instead is difficult, every where I would send you needs a car. If you really don't want to leave the city try Villa ada, it is not as open as Borghese, or as busy.

The area to the north of the airport is good, but the bird areas are well spaced and no public transport.

The good news is we have a number of migrants going though at the moment, so where ever you are you may get lucky
;)

Mark

Hello Mark,

thanks for your reply, aim considerinf to rent a car and go out on the countryside, havent decided yet. Maybe both doing some city birding and some countryside birding ifI have the time

Papuan birder said:
Hello,

In late November I will spend a few days in the Italian capital; have visited Rome before so most of the old buildigns etc already seen many times.

This time I had planned to try to do some birdwatching, I wont have a car so aim not able to travel far outside of the city.

A few years ago I birded in a large park (have forgot the name) just otuside Rome zoo and found it to be a ok place, is this site worth visitng again or has someone any advice on any good sites in Rome for birdwatching
Hi Papuan Birder
I am also off to rome for a couple of days next week so it would be geat to compare notes. I will be travelling without any gear but i will still keep a record and post it here on my return. I will visit Villa Borgese.
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back