• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warrington Waxwings (1 Viewer)

alanp

A friend has phoned to say 17+ Waxwing are in the Wyevale Garden Cenre at Bold Heath, nr Warrington which is on the A57 between Warrington and the Rainhill Stoops/Prescott. They are in trees in the area at the back where the compast is displayed. He saw them at 11.00 am, they were flying in and out in small groups and there could be more than the 17 he saw at one time.

A friend has phoned to say 17+ Waxwing are in the Wyevale Garden Cenre at Bold Heath, nr Warrington which is on the A57 between Warrington and the Rainhill Stoops/Prescott. They are in trees in the area at the back where the compast is displayed. He saw them at 11.00 am, they were flying in and out in small groups and there could be more than the 17 he saw at one time.

They're probably the same birds which have been in the area for about 4 weeks. They have spent most of their time in Gainsborough Road off Wilderspool causeway (where I saw 17 two weeks ago), but have also been on Bridge foot roundabout and even in the Golden Square.

I guess that the food supply has now been mainly eaten, and the birds have been forced to move.

Although out on the wires as 39 for most of the last week, we caught up with 34 on Battersby Lane / Forshaw Street junction yesterday. They hardly had chance to strip the remaining rowan berries whilst we were there due to the presence of the usual twonk with a big lens seemingly endeavouring to get some kind of endoscopy shot from beneath the trees; the fella with the diascope with the inline video announcing his need to be closer than 10m to the birds to get decent footage was another joy.

I got this from a discreet distance on 20x ~

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=crtjdelHCPM

Last edited:
Called there Monday dinner 2nd Feb , around 42 birds counted, looks like plenty of berries still to go at, so would expect them to be around for a couple of more days.

Peter.

Hi Peter

Do you know if the Waxwings are still around at all?

Cheers

Tim.
Hi Tim
I saw on the Manchester Birding website tonight that they thought they may have moved on as the berries had been stripped. I saw them there about 3 weeks ago and I'm surprised they are still about as the Forshaw St site only had about 6 small trees anyway which the local thrushes were defending and using as well plus the flock has doubled from what i saw. Have a look for an update http://www.manchesterbirding.com/ its on the forums pages out of county forum i think.

They hardly had chance to strip the remaining rowan berries whilst we were there due to the presence of the usual twonk with a big lens seemingly endeavouring to get some kind of endoscopy shot from beneath the trees; the fella with the diascope with the inline video announcing his need to be closer than 10m to the birds to get decent footage was another joy.

I got this from a discreet distance on 20x ~

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=crtjdelHCPM

Its up to real birders to say something to these aforementioned twonks. Real Birders know that waxwings like any species,and especially migratory species,are under huge pressure to find food and survive however relaxed and obliging they may appear.After all they haven't flown 1500 miles for a picnic !
This subject really gets my goat, the very same thing has happened this winter here in Droitwich and Upton Warren.
It appears to me to be pure ignorance or selfishness or both, whichever, they need telling.
I assume with a lot of these 'photographers'? its all about the kudos of getting their pics. on some birding site. I can completely relate to this but never at the expense of the birds, after all isn't this what we really care about ?
So this is a call to all 'real' birders, to speak up and tell the ignorant what its really all about
Rant over
Thanks

Its up to real birders to say something to these aforementioned twonks. Real Birders know that waxwings like any species,and especially migratory species,are under huge pressure to find food and survive however relaxed and obliging they may appear.After all they haven't flown 1500 miles for a picnic !
This subject really gets my goat, the very same thing has happened this winter here in Droitwich and Upton Warren.
It appears to me to be pure ignorance or selfishness or both, whichever, they need telling.
I assume with a lot of these 'photographers'? its all about the kudos of getting their pics. on some birding site. I can completely relate to this but never at the expense of the birds, after all isn't this what we really care about ?
So this is a call to all 'real' birders, to speak up and tell the ignorant what its really all about
Rant over
Thanks

I wonder if it was the same guy who was there when i was. He had what seemed like the Hubble Telescope on a tripod that came from the Millenium Falcon. He said to me that he had been coming most days. These poor birds must think its the big brother house.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back