• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Mockingbird Defense Behavior (1 Viewer)

Judybird

BIrds, bugs and butterflies
Last weekend I saw some interesting adult Mockingbird behavior to the side of my patio lanaiin SW Florida. The two birds were faking injury which peaked my curiosity. I went out to the front of my house only to find two baby Mockingbirds on the ground and a 3-4 foot Florida Banded Watersnake nearby. I inadvertently (and fortunately) frightened the snake away and also frightened the babies to run away as well. About 30 minutes later I saw one baby and then another in our backyard.

Being the bird freak I am, and being rather short, I enlisted the help of my husband to scoop up a baby at a time and return them to the nest in the tree in our front yard - close to where they were originally on the ground. They each seemed excited to hop from his hands to the nest.

Good news - I believe I saw the same two Mockingbird babies this weekend, larger and in full and clumsy flight on the same side of my house. It seems all ended well.

One question..do Mockingbirds lay 3 or 4 clutches of eggs each year? If so, do they build a new nest each time? This weekend I saw adult Mockingbirds building the third nest in our yard in about two months time. All three are to the east of our house, in various trees or bushes. Is this likely to be one pair or the extended family? Our street seems to be overrun with nesting Mockingbirds and void of much else.

Any insight is appreciated.

What a cool story. I love watching Mockingbirds because they seem so dam smart. Im glad the little guys are ok. You are a hero.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back