• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sizergh Hawfinches (1 Viewer)

Is it a little too early to visit Sizergh or are the Hawfinches present now? Is the car park still the best area for viewing? Thank you for any advice and suggestions as to the best time to visit Sizergh.

Yep, hawfinches are being sighted fairly regularly now. Best time is first thing before it gets too busy (around the car park). :)

If you're on Twitter check out @hawfinchesuk and @NTSizerghCastle too as they both regularly report sightings. Good luck! :)

Thanks for the info, will try and pay a visit later this week

At this time of year it is more difficult to miss them than see them!
Try to visit early morning when it is calm still and there are few people about.
Keep your eyes on the tops of the trees surrounding the car park.
As soon as you see anything land on the trees get your scope or bins on it.
Don't give up if you fail to see anything straightaway
Good luck!

Might pop up to see the Hawfinches on Tuesday. What time is the best to see them?
Are there any nearby areas that will have other interesting birds? I am driving up from East Lancs.

I might take a trip around the Lakes as it has snowed and try get some Lakes in winter photos. Any places nearby to recommend where you get Lakes, mountains, Pine Trees etc and roads that are open too.

Get there as early as you can. The car park may well be closed, so park where you can, and walk down to the shop/cafe, where you can view from under the verandah. Most likely to be around the new children's play area, but could turn up anywhere.

Leighton Moss RSPB is only a few miles away; currently hosting a Glossy Ibis, and redhead Smew. Also good chance of Bearded Tits, and Bitterns.

Good luck!

A drive up the A591 will lead to many vistas, from Low Wood Hotel across the lake to the Langdales is a cracking view, it is the first road to get ploughed. But there is wide spread thaw going on of the low level snow so the roads will be clear on Tuesday.

@ oncebittern - anything to take the hawfinches, tempt them with? how early should i get there? is that smew around leighton moss still....i have seen the ibis....but the smew moves around a lot

@ Mono thanks for the tip.....will do that....i hope the snow does not thaw from the mountains or the fields just yet lol

@ oncebittern - anything to take the hawfinches, tempt them with? how early should i get there?

When we go, we always go to the area which for some reason they have now made into the childrens play area [stupid when they knew that this was the area the Hawfinch seemed to favour] and throw some sunflower hearts onto the ground and sit in the car[parked in the inner] and wait. We try and get there about 730am.
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=300205

Hopefully they will be obliging when we visit next month.

When we go, we always go to the area which for some reason they have now made into the childrens play area [stupid when they knew that this was the area the Hawfinch seemed to favour] and throw some sunflower hearts onto the ground and sit in the car[parked in the inner] and wait. We try and get there about 730am.
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=300205

Hopefully they will be obliging when we visit next month.

Great shot there Marmot, roughly how late on can you leave it, just coming up from Stoke-on-Trent with a little one in tow the best I can hope for is to arrive about ten or is that way to late?

Of note on the 2nd March the National Trust are doing a Hawfinch watch there £10 per person
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/things-to-see-and-do/events/item273915/

Tim.

Great shot there Marmot, roughly how late on can you leave it, just coming up from Stoke-on-Trent with a little one in tow the best I can hope for is to arrive about ten or is that way to late?

Of note on the 2nd March the National Trust are doing a Hawfinch watch there £10 per person
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/things-to-see-and-do/events/item273915/

Tim.

On our previous visits they've been around all day in the tree tops surrounding the car park. The issue is that once the cafe opens it tends to get quite busy and the Hawfinch don't drop down to the car park as often. Though we've had quite close views mid-afternoon when they've dropped onto the yew trees to feed in the gardens over the wall by the car park entrance.

Looks like the cafe is only open on weekends at present opening at 11.00am. From 14th Feb it's open weekdays except Mondays so the main gate may well be open to drive to the car park. I've been told the main gate is sometimes closed on weekdays at the moment meaning a very long walk to reach the car park. Pleasant enough if you have the time/energy.

The NT put out food to attract the Hawfinches though there's no need to go on the organised sessions to see them unless you want a fact sheet and a bacon butty ;) The sessions are usually weekly.

We tend to take along sunflower hearts and peanuts and scatter them in the corner of the car park by what is now a play area. Lots of others birds come down as well such as Nuthatches, Jays, Tits etc so there's usually still something to see.

@ Marmot - great shot.....how close did you get to them?

@ Gronko - thanks for the the NT spot a Hawfinch sessions. If I do not get them then they will be a second resport for me.

@ Ian F - how long is the walk to the main car park gate?

It is less than 1/2 mile from the Strick to the NT car park, plus lots of Bullfinches about in the carpark up to 16 seen at one time.

@ Marmot - great shot.....how close did you get to them?

@ Gronko - thanks for the the NT spot a Hawfinch sessions. If I do not get them then they will be a second resport for me.

@ Ian F - how long is the walk to the main car park gate?

If you sit in the car then you can get really close views of the Hawfinches from 3-4m. They're a little more wary if you stand about watching so you need to be 30-40m away.

The walk from the gate certainly feels longer than 1/2 mile but I guess that's about right. If the gates are closed you have to park by the arrow on the map and follow the drive. The Hawfinches are usually just below the 'k' in 'car park'.

Not made it yet. Have had to delay until Thursday or Saturday. Will the snow be likely to melt on the mountains in the langdale Valley and other areas of the Lakes?

With this cold snap, -6 this morning, the thaw has well and truly stopped. The hills still look great.

If tomorrow does not snow then its Hawfinch day tomorrow for me.

So the Hawfinches usually drop to below K in the car park sign? Is it a big sign and a car park? What time is the best time to get there for tomorrow? Is 9.30am too late? Are there any interesting birds in the nearby area to look out for....Smews, Barnacle Geese, Bean Geese, Jack Snipe, Woodcock, Lapland and Snow Bunting too name but a few. I am driving up from East Lancs.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back