• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mastermind 14 - the leftovers (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

All WP

Now its time for someone else to get out their pics! So much easier with the rapid uploads!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 170
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 176
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 161
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 179
Ah, pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey time again! As usual, not at all confident about any of these, but:

1. Buzzard
2. Willow Warbler
3. House Martin
4. Hmm.... Bit worried about those underparts, but I don't think it's a Southern Grey, so I'll go for Great Grey Shrike.

Of course I can't comment, it would give way too much away. There needs to be two more differing answers before there is enough doubt and randomness!

If Jason has more than Michael or v.v then you have the id of 4 confirmed. If they have the same then you can rule out both Shrikes and know exactly how many of the rest are right or wrong.

I reckoned (a) the bill is too long for LGS, and (b) the forehead too pale, too far forward.

Good thing we were told 'all WP' - otherwise I might have gone for Loggerhead Shrike . . . but it is a very good match for the meridionalis in the Collins Bird Guide

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
I reckoned (a) the bill is too long for LGS, and (b) the forehead too pale, too far forward.
Agreed. And I don't think the primary:tail ratio is right for LGS either.

Now I've thumbed me books I'm reminded that SGS has a much narrower white super than GGS, so I guess you're right on that one.

Jason

1)Common Buzzard
2)Willow Warbler
3)House Martin
4)Southern Grey Shrike of race meridionalis
Michael,great minds think alike....;)
Harry H

I've always been in the remedial class chaps! :-C Makes you pair look smart though so be grateful!

agree prims, bill and tail don't look like LGS but I thought Jane was dropping a subtle hint it wasn't GGS or SGS so went for the only other option of female LGS with the reduced black forecrown......From pic I though bit pale above for meridionalis and can't see any white over super?

better get my shrikes book out and do some extra reading...... :news:

Good point Darrell, I'm struggling to think - I suppose it 'looks too big', but that can be very confusing. Will try a bit of photoshopping on it . . .

Michael

Eenie meenie miney mo....

1. Buzzard
2. Chiffchaff
3. House Martin
4. Southern Grey Shrike (still don't think the bill's right for Red-backed)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back