• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Either Nikon (1 Viewer)

Jungle

Hi,

Looking for a travel scope or certainly one that isn't heavy. However may use it for my main scope if good enough and sell my opticron HR80 which is very heavy. I believe the nikon ed50 is top of the tree in this department, however the nikon prostaff 5 60mm with a slightly bigger obj lens and zoom may be more of an all rounder.
Does anyone have any experience of the prostaff 60, as it is alot cheaper than the ed50.
Thanks, George,

Welcome to Birdforum, George!

If you want a really lightweight alternative, go with the ED50A. Try to get a Wide DS or Wide MC 27x (or possibly a Wide MC 20x) rather than the zoom. With the 27x, you will have a true FOV nearly as wide as the zoom at 13x!

I don't really know much about the Prostaff series, but I don't expect it to beat the non-ED Fieldscopes like the IIA and IIIA. If you want a slightly larger Nikon with one of the best views around, try and find a used Fieldscope IIIED with the 30x Wide MC.

This is my list, admittedly I haven't tried every single model, but I feel quite comfortable in recommending these:

1) Nikon Fieldscope III ED A ( I have the ED82A and am very pleased with it)
2) Nikon Fieldscope ED50A (have it. Handles 40x mag easily) or Pentax PF-65EDAII with XW14 (had the scope but not the XW eyepiece) Expect a little more CA than with the ED50A. Slightly more allround thanks to its larger aperture, but if you will keep the Opticron, go with the ED50A or the Opticron GS52 GA ED.
3) Theron Saker/Helios Fieldmaster 60 ED (lightweight and has received high praise here. Non-removable zoom eyepiece, though)
4) Nikon Fieldscope IIIA non-ED (very sharp and solid but definitely shows more CA than the Pentax with some 40x mag. Haven't tried it with 24x but that should be more enjoyable than 40x)
5) Nikon Prostaff (I expect it to be a lesser performer than the non-ED Fieldscope but I may be wrong)

If you find a Kowa 613 or 614 in good shape and mate it with a modern 30x Wide you will have a very lightweight scope with a nice image.
Not immersion proof but wth.

//L

Last edited:
Hi,

Looking for a travel scope or certainly one that isn't heavy. However may use it for my main scope if good enough and sell my opticron HR80 which is very heavy. I believe the nikon ed50 is top of the tree in this department, however the nikon prostaff 5 60mm with a slightly bigger obj lens and zoom may be more of an all rounder.
Does anyone have any experience of the prostaff 60, as it is alot cheaper than the ed50.
Thanks, George,

I tried the Prostaff last time and it is good value for money but without ED glasses on it.

ED50 price is more than the Prostaff but you won't regret it being compact, light and awesome view ! I used it with DS16x and MC II 13-40x eyepiece last time ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back