• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

definitive list of eyepieces for FSII/III (1 Viewer)

I second looksharp65 advice ....to use a 40X eyepiece as your main eyepiece is a compromise that you need to weight in terms of image brightness , FOV and steadiness..the DOF might be noticeable in the very near distance ,but I dont think over 20 or 30m should be a factor to decide upon..but real FOV should be noticeable ,and tracking and aiming would be more complicated at 40X than at 24X...then the use of available light is also limited ,in less bright environments and for digiscoping specially,when light means detail..and last ,the shake at 24x is of course less ,and that also means detail...

I second looksharp65 advice ....to use a 40X eyepiece as your main eyepiece is a compromise that you need to weight in terms of image brightness , FOV and steadiness..the DOF might be noticeable in the very near distance ,but I dont think over 20 or 30m should be a factor to decide upon..but real FOV should be noticeable ,and tracking and aiming would be more complicated at 40X than at 24X...then the use of available light is also limited ,in less bright environments and for digiscoping specially,when light means detail..and last ,the shake at 24x is of course less ,and that also means detail...

Thanks, guys (inc LS, once again!) , that's really helpful advice & explanation.
Ok, my plan is now settled:
a. get s/h ED60 (II/III) angled;
b. get s/h 16x/24x/30x (maybe the one here, fingers crossed);
c. get s/h P5100 (12MP) camera;
d. get beanbag / cheap-ish tripod (Velbon 250?)-unless ED60 comes with one;​
Then, if I can get some even half-encouraging results in good light with a handheld camera:
e. get a FSB-6 adaptor (which will probably cost more than the s/h camera!)​
Phew (until I end up with a Kowa instead and start this whole process again)!

Thanks, again for all the contributions, so far...

All of the MC series eyepieces that have twist-up eyecups were preceded by optically identical (but much more compact) WF "wide field" models, which had folding eyecups. By optically identical, I mean the WF have the same optical formula (glass) as the MC, but the coatings on the MC versions are likely slightly better (Note that many of the WF eyepieces were multicoated).

For the sake of anyone looking at s/h MC eyepieces, this is a very useful snippet. Does anyone know what year Nikon brought out their 'twist-up eyecup' versions?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back