• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon RA-III, looking opinions. (1 Viewer)

albatrosviajero

hello
He has emerged an offer to purchase a Nikon spotting scope RA-III, do not know yet if this is the model of 65mm or 82mm, but I think it has been discontinued .. has anyone used this scope?
How about having quality, both optically and mechanically?
Could be destined for digiscoping or maybe just for visual observation?
Thank you very much to all.
greetings

Nikon offers Digiscoping attachments for the RA series, and a number or eyepieces and accesories,...I havent seen that many pictures digiscoped with them though, maybe a casual google search can show some images or some reviews..

hello
He has emerged an offer to purchase a Nikon spotting scope RA-III, do not know yet if this is the model of 65mm or 82mm, but I think it has been discontinued .. has anyone used this scope?
How about having quality, both optically and mechanically?
Could be destined for digiscoping or maybe just for visual observation?
Thank you very much to all.
greetings

Hi Albatros,

just a few remarks. With these scopes, which are now replaced by the Prostaff-series, Nikon introduced some in my opinion useful details that was borrowed by the Nikon EDG high-end scopes later: bajonet mount for eyepieces with locking system, undetachable lens cover, undetachable eyepiece covers, 20-60x zoom-ep, 25/20x LER-eyepiece available for digiscoping. The detachable aiming device coming with the RAIII-scopes is one of only a very few available at the scope market that works properly IMO. Stay-on-case is included and needed because other than its predecessors, the Nikon RA-II scopes, the RAIII don't have the protection of rubber armor. These quite lightweight scopes are made in China. The mechanics are ok just as are the optics. These are no ED-scopes or whatsoever. CA is noticable, like always, particularly at higher magnification. In a word, good value for the money, just for beginners of scoping. Perhaps in that respect comparable with the binoculars of the Nikon Action/Action EX series.

Steve

Last edited:
I bought one from Wilkinsons for £250 including a 25x eyepice.The price was so reasonable i took a chance.My old Optricon had seen better days.
Its not top quality but it does the job.I am a fairly serious birdwatcher and go abroad birdwatching.I have been away 3 times this year and it has served me well.I use it every weekend too.I used it in Gambia where most of the birds were unfamiliar.It did not let me down once.I was able to clinch a lot of lifers with the scope.
It is particulary good in certain lights.e.g. if it is not over sunny and bright it ceratinly works better.
It struggles a bit at very distant areas but I am quite happy with it.
It is lightweight and easy to use.I have the larger one[82mm?]
Strangely it works better with the eyepiece extended and combined with my spectacles.
I am thinking of buying a 38x eyepiece for it.If anyone has used it with a 38x eyepiece please let me know what you think.

Wow that seems a really good deal from Wilkos!!

I had a look through a 62mm the other day that a birding pal of mine just bought off eBay for around the £200 mark and it certainly made me want to look into getting one as at the moment due to being a (poor) student I have an old Optolyth that I picked up here that is really disapointing in bad light which is a huge facor in the far north of Scotland!!

Very interesting to hear anything else about the 82mm as that seems an affordable replacement. I have seen a straight 82mm on the net for £200 with a stay on case, but so far no angled ones. If any one sees anyting let me know.

Wow that seems a really good deal from Wilkos!!

I had a look through a 62mm the other day that a birding pal of mine just bought off eBay for around the £200 mark and it certainly made me want to look into getting one as at the moment due to being a (poor) student I have an old Optolyth that I picked up here that is really disapointing in bad light which is a huge facor in the far north of Scotland!!

Very interesting to hear anything else about the 82mm as that seems an affordable replacement. I have seen a straight 82mm on the net for £200 with a stay on case, but so far no angled ones. If any one sees anyting let me know.
Yes it was a bargain.It came with a 25x eyepiece as well.
It is a straight scope which is what I am used to.It does the job.
I find the straight body easier to point it at whatever I'm looking at and aim for a target.
I was out today in appalling conditions.Bleak and snow falling.
I was able to pick out 11 Pinkfeet out of 80 Greylags at a considerable distance.Also spotted some Dunlin in the same area.
Considering the distance and the terrible light I was really pleased to pick them out.
In fact they were so far away and the light was so bad I considered not even to bother looking.It proved me wrong,though.and I got a good view.
There were also some nearby Twite.It gave me some brilliant views of them.With binoculars I would have struggled because of the distance and poor light.
I took it to Gambia,Egypt and on a cruise this year and it served me well.Particulary in Gambia where I was not familiar with most of the birds.It didn't let me down once.I was able to clinch a few lifers using the scope.
It is very light compared with my old Optricon.

I can see its not a top notch scope but for £250 including the eyepiece and stay on case it wasn't a bad buy.
I am a specatacle wearer.Using the extended eye relief and my glasses it works much better than not wearing my specs.
I would recommend the 82mm because it lets in more light.

Last edited:
Anyone interested in the Nikon RAIII take a look at the Uttings optics store they have the 82mm with a fixed 25mm lens for 160 pound or the same with the zoom lens for 300,i've been looking around because i'm upgrading my 65mm body and havn't found prices anywhere near this,even second hand ones on ebay are more expensive.All the scopes are straight though.
Mick

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back