• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bins for a ton (1 Viewer)

isandell

I current have a pair of 8x21 roofs, 10x50 porros as well as the wifes 7x23 reverse porros and 7x50 that I keep on the boat for navigation and birding.

I want to get something between the compacts and the full-size porros so I am looking at 8x42 and 10x42 roofs, although might go for something a bit lighter, say 8x36 or 40. Cost about £100 sterling and waterproof.

In the line-up at present are

Swift Reliant 8x42
Opticron Discovery 8or10x42
Opticron Trailfinder 8or10x42
Bushnell Excursion 8or10x42

Any comments?

Thanks

Ian

They're slightly over the ton but I'm very pleased with my Bushnell Excursion 8x42s. They produce a far better image than my father's Opticron Countryman which cost £80 more. Excellent field of view and very good VFM.

Shop around for them as prices vary enormously and given your extensive range of bins perhaps indulge in a little part-ex?

They're slightly over the ton but I'm very pleased with my Bushnell Excursion 8x42s. They produce a far better image than my father's Opticron Countryman which cost £80 more. Excellent field of view and very good VFM.

Shop around for them as prices vary enormously and given your extensive range of bins perhaps indulge in a little part-ex?

Thanks. The Excursions are at the top end of the price range but I will make sure that I try them. I did try the H2O but was not particularly impressed.

I think that a trip to Bath and Bristol is called for to give them all a spin.

I will probly hang on the the existing bins. The 8X21s are invaluable as in-my-pocket bins, the 7X50s live on the boat so that only leaves the 10X50s, which probly are worth too much 2nd hand. Besides, I want to work my way up to 91 and beat the bloke who's got 90 pair<g>.

Ian

I have the Excursions too (8x42). Not sure how they compare to others but I really like them a lot. Nice and sharp and a good wide view with decent depth of field on the focusing.

Mine cost £136 from Warehouse Express, with a free cheapy igloo tent and backpack.

isandell: May I suggest Pentax 8x36 DCF HS, at around £90-£110 (I paid £90 at Xmas). Optical quality is excellent for this price range (RRP was about £239 before prices fell). But the crowning glory of the HS is its ergonomics: seldom have I held a binocular which feels so good, so right, so perfectly balanced in the hands, at any price. Very subjective I know, but just try it and see if it puts a grin on your face...it did for me.

Well, I spent Friday looking at bins. These were the models that I tried.

Bushnell Excursions 8X42 and 10X42
Buchnell H20 8X42
Opticron Discovery 10X42
Swift Reliant 8X42
Steiner Skyhawk 8X42
Olympus EX WPI 10x42
Minos? (not Minox) 8X42

I did not have the opportunity to try the Pentax DCF HS 8X36, which was a pity.

As far a optics were concerned, the Olympus EX WPI 10x42 seemed to me to be the best, but also most expensive and more than I wanted to pay. lso, not that much better.

I was dissapointed with the Excursions. Lots of barrel distortion and a tendency to green fringing.

I chose the Swift Reliant. To me, they were the best all-round. I particularly liked the feel and handling of them.

What did surprise me was that my 35 year old "Boots the Chemist" made in Korea 10X50 porros compared well with all the bins that I looked at. Even my el cheapo 8X21 roofs were not disgraced.

Ian

Hi
Have you tried the opticron oregon 8x32's, i got some for my mum and they compared very well to my minox 8x42bl br's, small lightweight excellent image and great field of view and were about the 100 pound mark. i got them from walters photography who have a shop in bath
regards
Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back