• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who would you most like to go out with for a days birding (1 Viewer)

ted hilland

Well if I may set the ball rolling, apart from my Dad whos been dead for five years, the person I would most like to go out with for the day would be Tony Benn. A more sincere and fair man you couldnt wish to meet. I would have to insist though that he left his pipe at home but I could listen to him all day. I kinda met him one year at the Durham Miners Gala and he is one great guy. So for a bit of fun lets hear who you would all like to spend a day with and lets keep it clean!

Mine would definately be Neil Peart, the drummer with Rush.
I love his music he's the best rock drummer of all time in my opinion.He also writes all the bands lyrics,unusual for a drummer. I've also read all his books. He's a keen birdwatcher and a very deep and interesting man.

Can I name two? David Attenborough and Michael Palin, just so I could listen to them talk about all the places they've been and things they've seen - as long as they quieten down when a bird comes into view!

Sorry about your dad Ted - I've been without mine for well over a decade now and still miss the old bugger - however if we can 'resurrect' people for the one day - I'll have Dr. Eric A.R. Ennion please (and he could bring James Fisher with him).

ghostrider said:
Mine would definately be Neil Peart, the drummer with Rush.
I'd opt for The Peartmeister too although we'd probably miss out on a few good birds due to me hassling him to transcribe his drum breaks from the intro to Xanadu.

I have often discussed on China trips the idea of getting all the great contributors to Chinese ornithology together - J.D. La Touche and Robert Swinhoe were world class,and their publications still stand up to the highest standards of modern scrutiny. Both were consular/customs officials who added birding to their day jobs and laid the fundations for our knowledge of the birds of E and S China.

While I would be fascinted to talk to the great Russians - Przewalsky, Roborovski and Kozlov, I think that birding with them would scare the cr*p out of me - they suffered hugely to make the discoveries they did and I Doubt I'm tough enough to survive Tibetan bandits and getting through blizzards by eating my last camel!

Add to these Professor Cheng who persuaded Mao to abandon killing "sparrows", Pere David (who discovered the Panda, plus loads of birds) and Ricketts (Hill Partridge) , Styan (Grasshopper Warbler) the German Mell (who found Silver Oriole and sorted out Guangdong Province)and Pere Courtois (Yellow-throated Laughingthrush) and you'd have a superb group of birders/explorers for a 3 week trip to somewhere in China.

For a single day here in Hong Kong I'd go for La Touche - he recognized how amazing Beidaihe was back in the 1920 and accurately sorted out the phylloscopus warblers that are still doing my head in in the forest behind my house!

Last edited:
I would most like to go with anyone who doesn't feel compelled to talk most the time, who doesn't need to have covered xx miles by the end of the day for bragging rights, who doesn't have to bring their dogs or very young kids along, and who will not object to the occasional stop to just listen and observe. ;)

In alphabetical, so's not to offend anyone.
Adrian Riley
Bill Oddie
Dan Pointon
Lee Evans
Phobe Snetsinger
The Barn Owl (Sam Copppard)

Attenborough and Palin sounds good. We (over here) also like the accent. Personally, Rueben Stlaki. He's the Achuar birding guide we had 5 years ago at the Ec/Peru border on the Rio Pastaza river. Walked for 3 days just to join us for a week. His mixture of pure friendliness, birding prowess, and tribal history of Iowaska use put him in the Universe as far as I'm concerned. Who needs a common language. Good part is I can contact him again reapeat the experience.

Katy Penland said:
I would most like to go with anyone who doesn't feel compelled to talk most the time, who doesn't need to have covered xx miles by the end of the day for bragging rights, who doesn't have to bring their dogs or very young kids along, and who will not object to the occasional stop to just listen and observe. ;)

Sounds like I fit the bill perfectly...any plans to visit Florida, Katy?

Jyothi Ray said:
In alphabetical, so's not to offend anyone.
Adrian Riley
Bill Oddie
Dan Pointon
Lee Evans
Phobe Snetsinger
The Barn Owl (Sam Copppard)

Is that Lee Evans the comedian or LGRE? Having a day out with Adrian and LGRE... now that ought to have entertainment value.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back