• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who would you most like to go out with for a days birding (1 Viewer)

Hmmm....I was just thinking if I went birding with St Francis ? Mabey my list ( or lack there of) might be somewhat "godlike". lol ! - But then he might try to convert me ,and that would make things kind of awkward - cause I aint budging dude! - o:)
But seriously , I would love to go birding with alot of you folks - there are so many cool people on this forum - and I have to think I would learn more in a day with you guys than perhaps St. Francis - aside from that like so many of the other posts - Sir David is the man!:king:
oh - I forgot - this day would have to end up with a bunch of us hitting the local bar ( pub) and trading notes and storys !B :)

Last edited:
em1980 said:
oh guys you are all big softies at heart....very sweet. Apart from our nearest and dearest who would you most not want to go birding with?

Mine is Michaela Strachan

easy EM1980 you tiger, or tigress, this post is about who you would like to go with ( birding I mean ). Start your own thread !!LOL. But go on then tell us why not with Michaela. Jimmy 2faces had his say but although I agree with him that she was all that in the 90s, I still think shes a bit of alright and she loves the birds aswell, what more can a man want , not to mention the wage she will be on ( only joking girls). In short I would........ go birding with her that is!!!

Michaela all the way! Err, I mean it would be great to see her in the flesh. Doh!

You know what I mean! ;)
Jaff

I wouldn't of minded a few trips to the Neotropics with the late great American birder Ted Parker,or few more trips with Jon Hornbuckle

Last edited:
The great late Richard Richardson top of my list, a day on Fair Isle in late September...
The late Ted Parker next, anywhere would do..
PJ Grant..at Dungeness.

Have had the pleasure of birding with some fabulous birders, luckily. A day out with Robert Bateman or Lars Johnson would be tops also...

Would have to be Tomkies failing that Wouldn't mind getting Naiomi Campbell
up the isle of skye for a spot of birding...................

That's if she would fit in my hide...............

michaelmacey said:
My 4 year old gets most of her exercise walking the countryside with her old dad. And she takes a small pair of binoculars with her. She loves it. I dont see the harm in teaching small kids the value of wildlife, instead of how to load the latest playstation game.
Well, see there, your and postcardcv's kids are the exceptions that prove the rule. ;)

ted hilland said:
easy EM1980 you tiger, or tigress, this post is about who you would like to go with ( birding I mean ). Start your own thread !!LOL. But go on then tell us why not with Michaela. Jimmy 2faces had his say but although I agree with him that she was all that in the 90s, I still think shes a bit of alright and she loves the birds aswell, what more can a man want , not to mention the wage she will be on ( only joking girls). In short I would........ go birding with her that is!!!
well who would go birding with someone who would totally show them in more ways than one :) nothing against her really she just reminds me of watching the really wild show before I was forced to go to my ballet lessons.....bad memories!!! Horse riding all the way!!!!

The other guy I'd like to go birding with is prof robert winston, for those quite moments. He is such an interesting man and has the same mesmorising tone as Sir David

First choice would probably be Killian Mullarney, as the learning curve for me would be immense. The only time i've ever seen every birder at a twitch shut up and listen was at the Lady's Island Lake Elegant Tern back in the late 90's when Killian turned up and started running through why it was one. Even LGRE listened!

Second choice would be Craig Robson in SE Asia. Although my head might just explode with trying to take all of his knowledge in. At least i might get to have a re-match at pool and beat him this time...

It has got to be Bill Oddie for me, mainly because he is the same height as myself & that we could look each other straight in the eyes!!.

buzzard12 said:
The great late Richard Richardson top of my list, a day on Fair Isle in late September...
The late Ted Parker next, anywhere would do..
PJ Grant..at Dungeness.

Have had the pleasure of birding with some fabulous birders, luckily. A day out with Robert Bateman or Lars Johnson would be tops also...

Hi there

I have spent many days birding with Richard Richardson, along with my father (Peter Clarke) and also Peter Jackson (when I was very young). Incidentally, he only ever went to Fair Isle in June, don't think he ever went in September. Peter Jackson (also sadly passed away), his wife and children used to go to Fair Isle regularly with RAR.

Best Wishes Penny :girl:

I must be one of the lucky ones ..... 'cos like Paulwfromtheden i already have the best company i could wish for ..... my girlfriend ..... good sense of humour too, which i find lacking in a lot of peeps we stumble across during our days out ...... "I think it's a Duck ..... they float on top of the water you know" ..... you had to be there, the guys face was a picture after he had asked me what that bird over there was ..... "Nutter Alert" ...... :-O

iano said:
I must be one of the lucky ones ..... 'cos like Paulwfromtheden i already have the best company i could wish for ..... my girlfriend ..... good sense of humour too, which i find lacking in a lot of peeps we stumble across during our days out ...... "I think it's a Duck ..... they float on top of the water you know" ..... you had to be there, the guys face was a picture after he had asked me what that bird over there was ..... "Nutter Alert" ...... :-O
I hope your wives/girlfriends read this, what lovely gentlemen on here! Me and my man spent hours in Oman whale and dolphin watching not seeing anything but having the best time ever so I know what you mean.

Andy McNab or any other ex special forces "hard b@st@rd". Think of all the dodgy rebel infested places you could go without worrying about getting decked, or worse, having your bins nicked. Could be handy for getting into large outdoor military training areas without being noticed as well.

joe

Penny Clarke said:
Hi there

I have spent many days birding with Richard Richardson, along with my father (Peter Clarke) and also Peter Jackson (when I was very young). Incidentally, he only ever went to Fair Isle in June, don't think he ever went in September. Peter Jackson (also sadly passed away), his wife and children used to go to Fair Isle regularly with RAR.

Best Wishes Penny :girl:

Must of been a lovely experience, hear he was quite a gentleman and ever interesting character, time holds steady for none of us...
thanks for your post,
all the best wishes,
Alan

I can't believe no one has said this yet... mine would be none other than David Allen Sibley. I could not see anything more perfect than a good long birding day with him in mid May here in MA.

buzzard12 said:
Must of been a lovely experience, hear he was quite a gentleman and ever interesting character, time holds steady for none of us...
thanks for your post,
all the best wishes,
Alan

Yes, he was, and loved by all, both young and old. Whenever he visited our family he always pulled out of his pocket 3 packets of smarties for my sisters and I ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back