• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Owls on T.V. repeat. (1 Viewer)

BazR

bazr
Hi All.
Tonight on BBC 2, Natural World is a repeat of the programme re. Eagle Owls in North Yorks. Do catch it if you haven't seen it: I'm sure you will agree it's worth a second look if you if you have.

All the best.
Baz.

A billion thanks for that Baz! Just did a search & found it.

If anyone else like me is not tuned in to BBC2 England, you can find it though Sky on page 989

Ta Baz

I have my 'Mini Oddie' on my latop here in work, great for reminders about Wildlife on the Beeb or hints on stuff to watch out for...He can however, be embarrassing when he pops up during a presentation :eek!:

RKell1 said:
I have my 'Mini Oddie' on my latop here in work, great for reminders about Wildlife on the Beeb or hints on stuff to watch out for...He can however, be embarrassing when he pops up during a presentation :eek!:

Oh he's not doing the narration is he? If so I'll be watching with the sound turned off. :storm:

RKell1 said:

Hi, RKell. What's a mini-Oddie? And where do you get one from?

If my memory serves me right the program was excellent viewing but after the whereabouts of the owls was revealed the female was shot dead!

Hi Pam.
Relax and put your volume up. The narrator is Roy Dennis the man who did the filming.
Enjoy it: I'm sure you will.

All the best.
Baz.

charlierocky said:
If my memory serves me right the program was excellent viewing but after the whereabouts of the owls was revealed the female was shot dead!

indeed it is. very unfortunate, as i helped in the making of this film, me and a friend provided the close up shots of the eagle owl flying over the camera etc.

Helenelizabeth2 said:
Hi, RKell. What's a mini-Oddie? And where do you get one from?

Hi, you can download from here...He jumps out of a 'bush' on your screen with reminders every now and then..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/wildbritain/

What's this Bill O bashing, :eek!: :eek!: Man is a great entertainer and anyone who promotes a better understanding of Wildlife to the masses is alright in my books....even goes for the late Steve Irwin.

I feel a little awkward disagreeing with anyone from Ireland (RKell1) after the thumping that the English Rugby Union team were given last weekend, and though it pains me to admit it, I have to say the best team won. Also before I get to the great big 'but' I have to say thankyou to all of the Irish folk that welcomed the English at Croke Park, with such magnitude and decorum, after such terrible history..... 'There go bigger men than I'.
And so to the 'but', Do the ends justify the means?
Was the sacrfice of the female owl worth the making of the program?.... Yes I enjoyed it immensley, and I will probably watch it again, yes,because it was so well done, but I will also be very saddend again because I know it cost the life of the female owl.
Steve Irwin, passionate, yes, enthusistic, yes, good intentions absolutely no doubt! but do you have to juggle with the most poisnous snake in the world (of which according to Steve there are at least ten) to make us believe, or wrestle with a thousand Crocs to show how strong they were ( or was that to show how strong Steve was) Did he have to torment the life out of his subjects to make a point... even putting at risk the life of his own child? I think not. One episode of David Attenborough tells us all we need to know.
Thanks once again to the Irish.

Last edited:
RKell1 said:
Hi, you can download from here...He jumps out of a 'bush' on your screen with reminders every now and then..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/wildbritain/

What's this Bill O bashing, :eek!: :eek!: Man is a great entertainer and anyone who promotes a better understanding of Wildlife to the masses is alright in my books....even goes for the late Steve Irwin.

Agree totaly re Bill O, Ray. A great entertainer and a man with a great knowledge of wildlife, which is often under rated. However as you see he takes some knocks on xbeebers as else where on the forum. As I have often said before, I'm sure Bill can take it with a smile and accept that anyone who achieves things takes knocks. ;) I can't wait for Spring Watch. lol

As for Steve Irwin. Must say his style never appealed to me, but lets remember the work he did for conservation and let the guy rest in peace.

The Eagle Owls. Not so sure there is any evidence which has shown that the television programe had anything to do with the female owl having been killed Charlie. I seem to remember that there was some discussion as to what actually killed the owl. I must admit that may have been up dated, but at the time it was certainly unclear. There is no doubt that someone had taken pot shots at it as pellets where found in the bird, but I seem to remember some opinion was that it may have died of natural causes. The pellets may have been there for some time. I am not at all convinced that that problem can be laid at the door of the television programme. The wereabouts of the owls where known by many people up in this area long before the programme was shown. I went to view them myself. IMO those intent on killing birds don't need to wait for television to guide them. I do agree with the Ireland comments. ;) Heart warming stuff on Saturday apart from the score.

Cheers

PS A good programme if you missed it first time. Me? I'm watching the football tonight!

Last edited:
Brianfm, thankyou for your comments, much appreciated. My objective is to invite healthy discussion and I value your oppinion. I did watch the progam again and I did enjoy it immensely.
Should we not broadcast these programs to spite people like the patrons of this forum or should we have a robust legal system that deals with the individuals that are intent on spoiling our pleasure?

i was under the impression that the female killed was actually killed just after the making of the programme a couple of years ago and that the programme had not actually been shown when the shooting took place.Please confirm as i am often wrong!!

charlierocky said:
I feel a little awkward disagreeing with anyone from Ireland (RKell1) after the thumping that the English Rugby Union team were given last weekend, and though it pains me to admit it, I have to say the best team won. Also before I get to the great big 'but' I have to say thankyou to all of the Irish folk that welcomed the English at Croke Park, with such magnitude and decorum, after such terrible history..... 'There go bigger men than I'. .
I agree, it was a great day for the country and not just in terms of the Rugby. I was a tad hung over after ending the night on a session with some English supporters in Dublin.. :cool: Were you over for the game?
charlierocky said:
And so to the 'but', Do the ends justify the means?
Was the sacrfice of the female owl worth the making of the program?.... Yes I enjoyed it immensley, and I will probably watch it again, yes,because it was so well done, but I will also be very saddend again because I know it cost the life of the female owl.
Steve Irwin, passionate, yes, enthusistic, yes, good intentions absolutely no doubt! but do you have to juggle with the most poisnous snake in the world (of which according to Steve there are at least ten) to make us believe, or wrestle with a thousand Crocs to show how strong they were ( or was that to show how strong Steve was) Did he have to torment the life out of his subjects to make a point... even putting at risk the life of his own child? I think not. One episode of David Attenborough tells us all we need to know.
Thanks once again to the Irish..
Agree on Mr Irwin and a few others like him in that they go OTT on their behaviour but I'd rather have the OTT helping educate in a tv world that seems to be full of so called 'reality' soundbites.. :t:

Thanks for the link Delia.

Not sure if I fully understand your last para either Charlie, but I certainly do think the law should come down hard upon anyone who destroys our natural heritage/wildlife. As the programme shows of course one can argue whether or not Eagle Owls are our natural hetitage or not! Problem number one of course is catching the offenders. Not easy in many cases of birds shot/poisoned in wilderness areas.

And great that you attempt to start a discussion. Keep it up. :clap:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back