• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Going a bit too far? (1 Viewer)

If they can remote control a White throated Needletail over here and have it circle South Gare for a few days then I'm all for it.

But seriously, this does seem to be quite strange stuff to be researching.

Wana bet the Americans are all ready developing a counter strike force [for self defence only] Isnt science wonderfull ?

This does seem like the ultimate in cruelty! I am wondering what the application is for this technology? - I am thinking it might be militiary in nature - or god forbid, remote controlled recreation. In any case it is repusive!:-C :-C

Stranger than fiction - remember the pigeon guided missiles in WW2?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Pigeon

Thought that project had been abandoned for humanitarian reasons, but from this article, it appears it was for more practial reasons.

There's an air of inevitability about the experiments. You can bet it's going on elsewhere too. It seems that research that might give a country a military advantage is ALWAYS impossible to resist.

Is it really that outrageous? According to the article they'd already done tests on mice. Is that as bad? What if it leads to some device that gives a better quality of life to people with motor neurone disease? (I'm guessing here a bit!).

L

Chinese scientists have succeeded in implanting electrodes in the brain of a pigeon to remotely control the bird's flight..........

......... it was the first such successful experiment on a pigeon in the world, said Su, who conducted a similar successful experiment on mice in 2005.

Radio controlled flying mice!!!! Now, that would be worth seeing.

You should see what the US Navy does to live dolphins to "see how their brains work." Horrifying. Truly out of a Boris Karloff movie.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back