• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bad journalism (1 Viewer)

"Magpies have been singled out by Daily Telegraph readers"
Quoted from the above article. This says it all, because the comments recorded on magpies and also on urban cats are readers' opinions only.
Agreed, terrible journalism more in line with tabloid rantings.

Is this a joke, Mutter?

"Magpies have been singled out by Daily Telegraph readers as one of the causes of Britain's declining garden bird population."

Forgive my cynicism but what the hell do regular readers know? A lot of people HERE are not experts, and should not be let away with statements like that, so what makes the layman better than the educated expert?

Actually, I have read that populations of Robins and Blackbirds in areas with Magpies tend to be "stable". I think that was in "Birdwatching Magazine" this month.

Describing Magpies as "fiendishly intelligent" leads to nothing but negative imagery, which does not bode well for an already unpopular species.

As a Media student, IMHO this article is trash.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Mutter-not having a go at you!

Hi andy,

Oh Lord, that hoary old chestnut again; here comes the breeding season, let's find someone to blame if it doesn't go just right. Weather? Habitat destruction? Farming changes? so what, it CAN'T be our fault, it's GOT to be something else.

Bill.

Yes I think it is the season for all the same old arguments regarding the supposed devastation of our wildlife by natural predators to be dragged out once again.

Radio 4 had someone on this morning who had similar thoughts and who had written an article for the shooting times!!! Mind you the guy they had on to express the alternative view was IMO useless (although to be fair not given much time) so no doubt 1,000s of listeners where left even more confused than ever. I really do think the media ought to do a little research into these issues and see to it that views are covered appropriately. I have learnt over the years that that is far to much to expect!

This is the best yet....."What is the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds doing?" Well sir/madam, they've just decided to leave the Osprey to fend for themselves and are now busy putting up signs on every nest saying 'Go Away Nasty Magpie',.. :-C .
This is something I'd expect on the front page of the tabloids...does anyone know the email address of this reporter so we can drop her a little note or 2!

I would have thought that cats would have taken far more than magpies, but there you go, anything for a bit of sensationalism.

Best wishes

Idon't like cats in my garden but,I wonder how many mice and rats they kill.
I don't like magpies anywhere but I wonder how many young mice and garden/farm pests they devour.
Do badgers causeT.B.in cattle or do badgers get it from cattle.
These enigmatic questions are always cropping up with no real answer.Let's get real and admit that MAN is the largest and most efficient reaper of wildlife be it flora or fauna.

maurice

This is bad journalism, and completely irresponsible.
I cannot believe that the editor would allow this article to run when the facts are well documented by the rspb yet not included in the report.

How are people expected to learn about the natural world when these inaccuracies are free to go unchallenged.
I blame the newspapers editor who should have a duty of care and responsibilty to the readers.
Nit Wit!!

Hi Andy, I hope all's well at home.

I think we expect it every year as there's always someone waiting to pounce with the same old things at the same time of year.

Personally I love them, though as a Bird lover, I dislike some of their habits, though I have to accept it as their Nature. I do believe they get more than is their fair share of the blame for fledgeling deaths though as we also need to remember what Woodpeckers are like, many others too. Then, as you say there are cats, Squirrels etc............and so it goes on. Aside from the cats (and I noted Maurice's valid points) has the Telegraph never heard of or read up about Nature and all that's involved.....obviously NOT.

Sue.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back