• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How did your February go? (1 Viewer)

Sedgley

Bedlington Terrier
A good start to the month with a local firecrest seen on February 1. Also regular sightings of the Baggeridge water rail throughout the month.

Up to 76 species for the year by the end of the month, adding firecrest, snipe, tree creeper, shoveler and siskin. As a local birder (and living in the middle of England as well) means that my total creeps up rather than shoots as per the guys that travel to see specific birds.

But I really enjoy birding and that's what really counts. In fact I got out every day during the month, which means I am on target for my 'birding every day' that I set myself at the start of the year. Most sessions are just an hour, but it's still great to get out every day.

Visited Chasewater once, and although I didn't get to see the smew or the snow bunting, had great views of the great northern diver. Had already seen the snow bunting in January so it wasn't a great disappointment.

Continuing with the watching of the pair of local common buzzards at Turls Hill. They are the closest that I get to in terms of doing a specific study of specific birds, as I log a certain amount of data concerning them.

I saw dunnocks partridge and stonechat. And got my 4 year old interested in wildlife, when i go out now, she comes with her own binoculars.

Well, I saw 64 species in Jan, and February was much lower. Having said that, I got a few goodies.

Chiffchaff
Moorhen
Knot
Dunlin
Coal Tit
Goldeneye
Shoveler
Stock Dove
Song Thrush
Peregrine Falcon (awesome!)
Common Scoter
Dark-bellied Brent Goose (rare in Ireland, thrilled to bits on this one)
Scaup
Coot
Siskin (One of my favourite birds)
Bullfinch (Saw one on the last day of my garden birdcount.)

For a total of 16 species in total.

Didn't get as much birding in as I would have liked,due to other commitments. This years local areas list is going very slowly, only 52 species so far. Februarys highlight would have to be seeing what I presumed to be a pair of Little Owl.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back