• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beat that photo? (1 Viewer)

Painter-Lynne

Hi - hope this thread is of interest... I know I'm starting quite a few threads, I'll run out of puff soon - it's only cos I'm taking time-out today before I re-enter the breach (Painting-wise and life-wise generally).

This thread is prompted by a photo. (Incase you have a copy: National Geographic - Wildlife, The Best Photographs: "out now in your...". p15) Now photography is one of 'those' topics where artists are concerned, so I hesitate before starting this... ah, what the heck.

The photo: two Grey Herons in a flap with each other. (Better credit the photographer: by Bence Máté). They're fighting. Now of all the photographs in the publication, I was gripped by this one. It was way out in front, better than the snowy owl - not just because I particularly like Grey Herons (something about how they move as well as... so much else), but because the image itself was so perfectly composed, the birds in wonderful positions, with a great colour scheme and lighting, a background that did nothing to distract but did everything to suggest - the whole combining to create an intense focus on the two birds heads and bills, entirely appropriate to the intensity of that moment of behaviour. As painters, we have such an advantage over photographers, in that we can control everything in an image - we can even completely make up a totally convincing moment - where photographers are at the mercy of circumstance. But here was a picture no painter, even the masters, I would advocate, could improve upon in any marked way.​

So.. have you ever looked at a photo and thought the same, or do you disagree and think that a painting will always say more than a photo? If you do, can you explain why that is at all? Would seeing brush marks in the image described, really add to it - if yes, go on, why? Apologies if I'm repeating a thread - done a (not too thorough) search. Have a feeling, may have asked a bigger question than intended to .... but not rightly sure.

Art or Wildlife Art? - good thread, not entirely unrelated, I suspect.

Don't get me started! LOL!

Could be a touchy subject....

Personally speaking a great piece of artwork does more for me than a great photo, though I do respect both skills.

Last edited:
I forgot to anwer this, though it did get me thinking. So....

For me, photography is a valid artform, that can be used artistically or otherwise, I've seen some beautiful photos that play with light, textures, form, movement and all the other 'aesthetics'. The photos that I'm not so keen on are the static sort that seek only to show plumage details. Photographers who want the bird to fill the frame are in a way missing the point IMHO. I'd say the same about painting, I'm less excited by paintings that show the bird full frame and with all the details than by those with blurred edges, sharp edges, sharp contrasts etc. In short, I prefer paintings that try to recreate seeing the birds, or perhaps more accurately, those that try to recreate FINDING the birds. Personally, I would be insulted if somebody likened my paintings to a photograph (well just a little - I don't get insulted really). Saying that there are some great examples of wildlife art that have that level of photographic detail.

As for what says more, photos or paintings, hmm, I'd love to get a load of artists and photographers together to 'record' the same subject and see what's produced - lots of similar photos I'd imagine, but the paintings would all be quite different.

At the end of the day, both are skills and as I lack skill in photography, I'm biased towards painting! (there we go, what a neutral conclusion!)

Do you have a link to the photo? You've got me totally curious to see these herons.

I tried to provide a link but it did not work (mistake is mine I am sure). If you google "bence mate" you will easily find his website. You have a language option. Once you are in you will see a series of photos scolling down on the right hand side. Click on the photo of fighting grey herons. The image will brighten up. Give it a few seconds and the image will appear a little larger on the left hand side of your screen. Unfortunately you do not see the image in all its glory. I do not like this sort of mess around web site nor do I like the sound of lightning with the introduction.

I hope this helps

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back